Dress pattern - first to hand sew

Stitches

Re: Dress pattern - first to hand sew
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
This is a dress I made for a client all hand sewn as it was very heavy beaded

countrygal

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:09 AM »
@Stitches oh wow that is beautiful!  :frock: <3 Must of taken ages but I hope she was happy with it!

Nevis5

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
@Stitches that is amazing!  What patience you must have.  How long did it take? 

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
Hand sew a whole dress!  I usually hand sew a hem because I find it therapeutic, but a whole dress, I'd sooner borrow a machine, unless of course with the beading, then probably essential.

Thank goodness I've four sewing machine.  Mind you I do have a lazy streak in me.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 13:18:37 PM »
I've voted for D as I think it looks a bit different to the usual round ones.  And I think F looks a bit old-fashioned, but take no notice of me, I have a weird taste in clothing  0_0

Lizzy777

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 13:23:35 PM »
Oh thank you - I already have the pattern just used the link as can't post pictures unless you are a subscribed member. Always a bit heart breaking to see when you could of saved money though  ><

I've got my eye on a cotton silk blend in either a dusty pink or emerald green but haven't fully made up my mind - I have learnt to not ask the OH for his opinion however  0_0 What style of curtains did you make? Never attempted home furnishings

Oh sorry about the pattern, I didn't realise you had already bought it.  The dusty pink colour sounds lovely too.
I don't tend to go for green colours but it will be quite striking in emerald green too.

I had bought some fabric for a roller blind (cotton fabric) and then made some pencil pleat curtains to match. Was a bit time consuming but I enjoyed doing it. I don't really sew curtains now, either ready made or custom made is what I would get normally.

I do sew but just not curtains.

lizzy

countrygal

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 13:33:09 PM »
Sounds complicated @Lizzy777 but I just googled and they look quite nice from what pops up. What do you mainly sew now?

Lizzy777

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 13:47:10 PM »
Sounds complicated @Lizzy777 but I just googled and they look quite nice from what pops up. What do you mainly sew now?

Anything really. Just not curtains as they can be quite heavy and am not a curtain maker type person lol. :)

I did my City & Guilds in Fashion/Design quite a few years back for interest really, so can sew most things. My Mum was a pattern designer and tailoress so have always been interested since I was quite young.

Like everyone else, I collect fabrics and patterns even though I am able to design my own patterns.

lizzy

countrygal

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 14:13:10 PM »
I did my City & Guilds in Fashion/Design quite a few years back for interest really, so can sew most things. My Mum was a pattern designer and tailoress so have always been interested since I was quite young.

Like everyone else, I collect fabrics and patterns even though I am able to design my own patterns.

lizzy

Now that is so brill! I don't think I'll ever be able to design patterns - not gifted in drawing at all. Have you ever made anything from a pattern you've drafted?

dolcevita

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 18:24:09 PM »
If you're hand sewing the whole dress, get a thimble if you don't already have one.  Seams of just 2 pieces of fabric are fine but when you have to push your needle through a few layers, such as where seams intersect, you'll be glad of a thimble rather than digging a hole into whichever finger you normally use to push the needle through.

Lizzy777

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 23:44:38 PM »
Now that is so brill! I don't think I'll ever be able to design patterns - not gifted in drawing at all. Have you ever made anything from a pattern you've drafted?

You make up a set of blocks when you are on the C&G Fashion course at level one in the first year. You're then shown how to use them. I did used to use them a fair bit but I have put weight on since I first made the blocks. Could do with making up a new set sometime. It can be quite time consuming designing your own pattern. So it's ok to use a commercial pattern too (quicker). I did the courses for interest. It wasn't something I used in my career. Its a hobby so to speak.

I don't think it is a matter of being gifted. You just need the right training and that's not too hard to seek out. You could do it.   Sorry I am a bit brief. Fighting off a sickness bug the last two and a half days.

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 00:40:10 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to design patterns - not gifted in drawing at all.

Pattern drafting is technical drawing, akin to geometry, with measured lines; very different to freehand artistic drawing.

Sketching what the finished garment should look like - so that others know what is intended - is artistic drawing, but there are lots of body templates that you can work from and if you only need to tell yourself what is intended the quality of the drawing doesn't really matter.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

countrygal

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »
Sorry I am a bit brief. Fighting off a sickness bug the last two and a half days.

Ooh get better soon!

Lizzy777

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
@countrygal

..thank you.