The Sewing Place

Where does it go?

WendyW

Where does it go?
« on: July 25, 2018, 16:04:14 PM »
For Christmas I got a Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.2. It is definitely more sensitive to EVERYTHING than my previous 25yo Pfaff 1467. In the first 4mo on this machine I broke more needles and got more thread jams than I had in years on the older machine. With a thread jam this machine will tell me it needs clearing, and I have to push a button. I can hear it doing Something to clear the jam. If I take apart the bobbin area, I can't get to area underneath where these threads and needle tips must be collecting. How am I supposed to clean these bits out?

arrow

Re: Where does it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 16:38:38 PM »
They take out the throat plate and bobbin case to clean down there on the 4.2 and 5.2. You might reach something with tweezers and a vaccuume cleaner. Some have even bought mini nozzles meant for computers for vaccuuming jobs. You are meant to hand it in once a year or so for service and cleaning, but it looks like most people leave it much longer, years and years, as long as it runs. English video for light cleaning on a 5.2;  A Finish video, I don't understand a single word, but the visual illustration is good. I guess that's the part you have been doing. Other than vaccuuming I don't think you are meant to do anything. If you try to remove the covers; side or top of the freearm you are on your own when it comes to guarantees and repairs. I think there's up to 5 years guarantee on these, at least two.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 17:10:58 PM by arrow »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 17:40:00 PM »
Oooh, mine's not had a thread jam yet.  I kind of almost now want it to, to see it tell me and see what happens when I press whichever button it wants.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 18:24:34 PM »
Mines a 4.. I just keep pushing the button till it sews again. I do take everything apart to clean occasionally.