The Sewing Place

In search of Dress Pattern - suitable for business meetings

annieg

I have to go to Belgium on 6th August for a week of presentations/business meetings with senior management.
Does anyone have any suggestions of suitable cotton/cotton jersey based dress or two piece patterns ?
Its going to be hot so I need lightweight, comfortable but not casual clothes.
I'm 63 years old,  5'2", size 20 so I need clothes which look professional but not too fitted......
(I'm going to feel inadequate anyway - as the women colleagues I'll be meeting with are much younger, taller, slimmer, expensively dressed!)
Any suggestions gratefully received.
 :D :woof:
Annieg

Nicola1968

Re: In search of Dress Pattern - suitable for business meetings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
I'd go with cotton/linen rather than a jersey - I think for workwear you'd need a heavier jersey/ponte which is going to be too hot at the moment.  Any shift dress in a plain colour would work great and I'm sure that you'll feel much more "adequate" in a dress you've made.  Shirt dresses are very current right now but I think that they don't look very formal on those of us with a fully figure.  Its not a shift but the Cashmerette appleton could be lovely (its on my sewing table at the moment in a very unbusiness like bright red poppy print :) )

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Just a thought - will you have pressing facilities when you get there? If not you might want to think about the creasing potential in your fabric.

annieg

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've gone with:

Hot Patterns Chameleon Dress Pattern
Cashmerette Lennox Shirtdress pattern

(I like them anyway and I think the Hot patterns will be really useful as long as it doesn't look like a tent when its made up!!) :D

Thanks again.
Annieg

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
Viscose elastane jersey is cool, comfortable to wear and doesn't crease. I would only go for one that doesn't have more than 5% elastane (or less) as anymore it is thinner and a bit more stretchy.

It's not difficult to sew up either. And there are some lovely patterns around too. Also plain and polka dots.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've gone with:

Hot Patterns Chameleon Dress Pattern
Cashmerette Lennox Shirtdress pattern

(I like them anyway and I think the Hot patterns will be really useful as long as it doesn't look like a tent when its made up!!) :D

Thanks again.
Annieg

Don't get me started on Hot Patterns ...if it DOESN'T look like a tent I'll be amazed.  If it goes together as it should, I'll be even more so.

For future choices, and I'm close to your age, one inch taller, and only a couple of inches larger, it's Style Arc all the way.
C'est moi!

annieg

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
@DementedFairy
Do StyleArc send paper patterns by post? 
(I don't want to get involved in printing and sticky tape!!) :D
Annie

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
@DementedFairy
Do StyleArc send paper patterns by post? 
(I don't want to get involved in printing and sticky tape!!) :D
Annie
You can get them from Oz [which allows for more postage but you get a freebie], delivery time about two weeks as I recall, or from Amazon [no freebies] or Etsy, or PDFs.  Lots of choices
C'est moi!

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »
I think Amazon uk sell some style arc printed paper patterns although not sure which ones and they deliver very quickly, especially if you have Prime too?

lizzy

annieg

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »
Thanks again..
A

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
Thanks again..
A

I just typed in 'style arc printed paper patterns' in the Amazon search function, if that helps?

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 14:06:10 PM »
I think Minerva Crafts do Style Arc printed patterns but not sure what they stock.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 14:21:11 PM »
I always wear self-made dresses to work, generally in jersey and with a jacket dressed up with smart shoes and jewellery.

I have made several versions of the michael lots vogue v1191 that people seem to like, but I needed to Google how to raise the neckline.

Most of my others are self-drafted but with a bit of dealing around the tummy area to hide the my flab.

I have realised that most people see the fabric but not the actual structure of the dress; in the 20 years I have been re-using patterns only one person has commented on me making the same dress in a different fabric - as his mum was a seamstress.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 14:28:57 PM »
I have to go to Belgium on 6th August for a week of presentations/business meetings with senior management.
Does anyone have any suggestions of suitable cotton/cotton jersey based dress or two piece patterns ?
Its going to be hot so I need lightweight, comfortable but not casual clothes.
I'm 63 years old,  5'2", size 20 so I need clothes which look professional but not too fitted......
(I'm going to feel inadequate anyway - as the women colleagues I'll be meeting with are much younger, taller, slimmer, expensively dressed!)

Any suggestions gratefully received.
 :D :woof:
Annieg

Annie, do not, repeat not feel inadequate. Their age, height, body shape and the clothes they buy are irrelevant. You have talents they will envy (anyone who doesn't sew will think you're a genius) and you'll feel comfortable and confident wearing your own creations. Do let us see them, won't you.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 14:35:54 PM »

an alexander mcqueen :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily