The Sewing Place

On the grain binding?

Surest1tch

On the grain binding?
« on: July 24, 2018, 16:38:08 PM »
I've just placed the pattern pieces for a sleeveless V neck top on a piece of fabric, now am I being thick here or what or is it modern patterns, the binding for the armholes and neckline are poker straight and cut on the grain line. Has anyone attempted to use this kind of binding or have you gone with what you know and cut them on the cross?
All answers gratefully recieved.

crafter

Re: On the grain binding?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 16:42:27 PM »
Don't really see a problem with the V bit, but any curved parts would need either cross gain or a facing.  Are you sure they are not facings?  Really odd.  Which pattern co is it?

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 17:01:45 PM »
It's Simplicity 8337, it was a free one in Just Sewing. It's supposed to be 2 fronts and 2 backs but I don't want front and back seams so am going to cut it as 1 front and 1 back. It definitely states a straight piece cut with the grain and stretch round the armhole and back neck but that goes against the way I've been taught. Logic tells me it's not going to lay flat and smooth!

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 18:01:03 PM »
I'd go with your instinct & cut it on the bias.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Gemma

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 18:09:28 PM »
Back of the envelope says for stretch knits only, so there's no need to cut the binding on the bias.

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 18:16:25 PM »
If it's a knit binding, I usually cut my fabric strips directly across the grain as some knits don't have that much stretch along it.  You definitely need some give in the binding.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 18:29:12 PM »
Ooooh bless you @Gemma I didn't read the fabric suggestions (I never do) I'd dug a piece of cotton lawn out of my stash I don't like much any more, I thought the style would be nice and cool for wearing round the house.
Doh, it just goes to show no matter what your background or training is you can always find something to stump you  :fish:.
I'm still going to make it up in the poplin and we'll see how it turns out but I'll cut the binding on the cross. I've got a 3mt piece and by the look of how the pattern is laid out it's going to take less than 2mt so there's plenty to go at.
Thank you all for your help

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 00:52:24 AM »

I'm still going to make it up in the poplin and we'll see how it turns out but I'll cut the binding on the cross.
Cut the binding on the bias, not on the cross!

Will there be enough ease if it's made with a non stretch fabric?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 14:05:25 PM »
Thanks @BrendaP, cutting it on the true bias would have given me too much stretch, so far it's looking OK I've just walked away for a while because I can't decide if I want to fit it or leave it loose. Probably leaving it loose would make more sense in this heat but I hate wearing baggy clothes. Decisions, decisions, sigh.