The Sewing Place

Patterns designed for body shape

Morgan

Patterns designed for body shape
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
Stumbled across Vesta Patterns -
Looks to be starting out.

Focus on the useful information in the Blurb and ignore the narrative romantically flavoured fluff (eg. perfect for all your enchanted forest outings. . . yep, really, sighs ).  Look at the line drawings of the designs and not the style of the front envelope drawings, etc.   

patterns made for different bodyshapes  (hmmm, it looks like that may be achieved by tinkering with ease allowances at the bust, waist and hip levels rather than "designing" for different body proportions, although my guess may be wrong)
A (pears)
E (columns)
S (hourglass/full hour glass

That doesn't meant no fitting adjustments at all, but can mean fewer or smaller adjustments required.

Basic set in sleeve T shirt pattern is called "The Grail" - looks to be a useful pattern with style variations and is designed for different body shapes.
Princess line sleeveless dress is called "The Fable"

So what's the difference -
 -
The Grail-A tees have 2" of ease at the bust and waist and 3" at the hip. For a snugger tee, sew one size down from your usual size, or blend between sizes for a custom fit. The 3/4 sleeve shape is wide by design.
-
The Grail-S tees have 2" of ease at the bust, waist, and hip. They work well with lightweight knits. For a snugger fit, sew one size down from your usual size.
-
The Grail-E tees have 2" of ease at the bust and hip and 1" of ease at the waist. For a snugger fit, sew one size down from your usual size. The tees work well with lightweight knits.

At the moment, the size range is limited, for example the T-shirt for S Shape (Hourglass) from bust  is from 84cm(33") to 112cm(43.5")

Link to Patterns here

here's a link to a review on PR for the S shapeT shirt pattern
another here 
and here's a link to a discussion about the pattern - several positives and a few negatives

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:21:32 AM by Morgan »

Ohsewsimple

Re: Patterns designed for body shape
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Mmmm.  She hasn't been sewing long.  Interesting idea. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 14:56:48 PM »
Interesting idea, not sure if it makes much sense translated to more than a gathered skirt dress [basically just a vest with a gathered skirt tacked on] and a plain T shirt. 
My body SHAPE would be E, but then she goes adrift and says choose your shape by your bust size, which would be S [hourglass] Hourglass I ain't!
So I would have to start with the S [in other words, FBA done, big whoop] and then still grade out to the [probably] E waist and hip.
I do this anyway, so not tempted.
I also found the cutesy Disney style illustrations WAY off track for adult clothes. :S
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 15:06:48 PM »
Mmmm.  She hasn't been sewing long.  Interesting idea.
But thinks she can teach others and draft patterns.  ><

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 15:10:20 PM »
I'm so over all these bloody 'Indie' 'designers' all their clothes look the bloody same.  Every single on has a T shirt, a few dull gathered skirt tea dresses, and a sweatshirt.  Why do people keep buying them?
C'est moi!

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 15:30:22 PM »
I remember back when Hot Patterns first started they did a similar split of body types.  I don't remember if there were two or three different types.  In the end they merged back to one.

For basics I will stick to Style Arc which are well drafted and work for me with minimal tweaks.   I like a few of the Indie designers who have more unusual items but most of them are a dime a dozen.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 15:38:35 PM »
I stick mainly to the big pattern suppliers and can usually find something I like.  I don`t understand why people are drawn to the Indie patterns which often seem to be poorly drafted with inadequate instructions and cost more!  They seem to be aimed at young (possibly inexperienced) sewists and I think a lot must end up with very disappointing results.

Concerning these Vesta patterns - I don`t think I fit into any of those body shapes - possible "E" column -  but with sticking out bits in the middle!

(Perhaps I should add that I know lots of you like StyleArc but I haven`t tried them yet)

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 15:45:20 PM »

(Perhaps I should add that I know lots of you like StyleArc but I haven`t tried them yet)

Time you gave them a try!  My pattern collection is mostly Vogue but Style Arc come  a VERY close second
C'est moi!

crafter

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 00:44:18 AM »
I notice that those reviews come from 2015.  So it looks like there hasn't been any additional patterns  in 3 years!