The Sewing Place

Playing with prints

Manuela

Playing with prints
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
After I came across this picture, I started wanting to play with print - and big polka dots in particular. The biggest (cotton) dots I managed to find are 4cm....

Here my (very) wearable muslin. The dotted side could be 1" longer and I managed to make the mirror image of what I wanted to make. The floral fabric is a cotton sateen I found at the Hawker's Bazaar.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The 'proper' dress is cut, with the dotted part on the correct side and a bit longer. This one will become my 'go to the pool/beach dress'  :D

I see a few versions of this coming, still have some leftover black and white stripes as well as dots and prints.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Playing with prints
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
That looks great, what a lovely huge floral patterned fabric.  I prefer the way you've stuck to black and white rather than the totally different colour in the original picture.

MrsThrifty

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Very stylish, I love your taste in clothes and I am very into print clashing, although timid about going too far and stick to monochrome like you've done, so I love this.
I'm also one to make the mirror image of what I wanted. Almost all my crossover tops cross the wrong way  ><.

mammafairy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »
fabulous in the black and white.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Elegant, and quirky.  Brilliant!
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
I really like that, you have a wonderful eye and I think you could have been one of the top designers in your own right

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
That's great, and much nicer with both fabrics in black and white.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »
I like the cohesiveness of the black and white too.  You are so creative, @Manuela

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
That's great @Manuela .

You really do make the loveliest things...and you make them so well. I wish I had such creativity and imagination.

Sandra.
xxx

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 13:24:31 PM »
Oh my, I think there may be another Manuela knock-off coming on!  I love the asymmetry of the hemline as well as the prints.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 13:43:04 PM »
You have done that so well Manuela.  You really do have great style.   

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 14:19:21 PM »
I love the asymmetry of the hemline as well as the prints.

I admitted a while ago to being vain... that probably comes naturally after all those years in the fashion industry.
Having severely damaged my right ankle a few years ago, I can't wear heels anymore (max is 2") and thought hard about how to wear dresses with flats without looking matronly. This article here made me experiment with hemlines, and it really works (it also explains the number of dresses I have with asymmetrical hems  :devil:).

How to wear dresses with flat footwear

dolcevita

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 15:18:26 PM »
I understand completely, Manuela, as this has been a year of flats for me after my ankle break and knee surgery late last year.  I don't know if I'll be able to wear heels yet, or what the max height will be, but our heatwave made it such a logical choice anyway.  I also like to be able to wear flats with dresses as I walk a lot but can't do any distance in heels.

I must investigate the asymmetric hem, although I'm not sure that I'm tall enough to carry it off well.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 15:30:24 PM »
@dolcevita - you don't need to be tall to carry asymmetrical hems off. Play with proportions and see what looks good on you. The blog post I linked shows a number of examples - shirt tails and 'mullet hems' look great too with flats.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 23:43:42 PM »
Hmm, I see a 'combining prints' competition coming...... @Francesca