The Sewing Place

Playing with prints

ambro0

Re: Playing with prints
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 23:53:05 PM »
Thanks for the link @Manuela. I have short legs and only wear flats so have been avoiding dresses. This article has given me some inspiration!
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 23:54:52 PM »
Ha. If we have a most garish award for it there might be hope for me. But that is a fun competition idea. <3
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 00:52:24 AM »
@Renegade Sewist - I had a look at the 'Polka Dot & Stripes' competition at pattern review, and found it riddled with rules. Some people had some amazing dotted or stripes fabric, but couldn't use them due to the ridgit rules. That really curbed creativity.

So a 'mixing prints' or 'combining prints' with at least two prints used as main fabric sounded like a good idea to me.
Most of us have lengths of fabric that would make something like half a skirt, top or dress - we might as wll get creative with that.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 03:57:52 AM »
I love the idea of a simple rules version of print combining. It doesn't prevent anybody from going full on Koos van Den Akker if they want to.

Your dress really turned out great. I enjoy looking at your close up photos because everything is finished so nicely. Top stitching is always smooth and flowing on curves, etc.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
@Renegade Sewist you've already won the "understatement of the year" award.

Finished so nicely!!!!!!  :D

I swoon in admiration at @Manuela 's finishing. What would I give for a one day workshop with her?!!?! Unfortunately I would find it difficult to improve my sewing skills with no right arm, no eye teeth and no tea left in China!   :S

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the link @Manuela. I have short legs and only wear flats so have been avoiding dresses. This article has given me some inspiration!
I read the article with interest and did wonder - except I suspect I would find myself trying to pull the hem straight. I can admire asymmetric on others, but think I'm too much of a 'classic' at heart.

Plus, I remembered during the hot spell that I did have a summer skirt still lurking in the spare room wardrobe.
Got it out, realised it was cooler, wondered about wearing it outside the house so had a look in the mirror  :o

There is a good reason why I wear trousers nowadays.
Yes, you can wear a skirt with flat shoes (particularly a full skirt) but not when you have swollen feet and ankles
and definitely not when you have one foot and ankle that swells noticeably more than the other.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
This could be called 'playing with stripes'... the flowery stripe is a leftover from a shirt dress I made a year or so ago. Ever since I was on a hunt to find a plain cotton stripe in exactly the same width (4cm).
I've seen off-set stripes a while ago and really liked the effect.

@Francesca I'll come up with a mixing prints contest next week or so. I was under a huge amount of stress for the last 6 or so weeks - that's gone since Friday   :D (I'll post about this in the Cafe in a bit).

Here the pictures (and yes it has pocketses)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Surest1tch

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
That is fantastic, I wish I had the bottle to wear something like that ☹️