The Sewing Place

Crumb blocks and portholes

StitchinTime

Crumb blocks and portholes
« on: July 29, 2018, 15:09:26 PM »
Last Saturday at Leeds MQG we had a taster of one of the workshops on offer at Festival of Quilts. The class was to make a cushion from scraps and an old shirt. The sleeves and back of the shirt are stitched with the scraps to make crumb blocks and a porthole added using reverse appliqué. The front of the shirt is then used to create a button opening cushion back.

I got the crumb blocks and porthole done on the day and so this morning I did some quick increasing spiral quilting and finished the cushion. I’m not sure if I like crumb blocks, but using an old shirt for the cushion back is a great idea if you don’t like doing buttonholes or inserting zips.

Kenora

Re: Crumb blocks and portholes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 18:00:06 PM »
I, too, am not sure about crumb blocks - they're a bit too random for me, but at least they use up lots of stash pieces that are no good for anything else. I like your spiral quilting too.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »
That came out very nicely in the end SIT; I can see Guys liking that, and soft furnishings can be a flashpoint!!!! (Quote from ??? please)

Did the instructor provide all the materials?? and did you give the class your seal of approval???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
@Iminei The instructor had shirts available for us or we could bring our own. Most of us brought our own scraps too, but again he had some available should they have been needed. I think for the FOQ class there is the option to buy a supply pack if advance notice is given.

I enjoyed testing the class and I think it was useful for him as we came up with some ideas that might help it go more smoothly on the day.