The Sewing Place

The foulest thing and the weirdest thing

WendyW

The foulest thing and the weirdest thing
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:58:23 AM »
Our community theater is doing Monty Python's "Spamalot" this summer and I'm on the costume crew. Opening is tomorrow night and we're still doing a lot of last-minute details on costumes and repairs. Last night I had to do the foulest thing I've ever been asked to sew. It was a fur vest made out of someone's old fur and leather garments. The shoulder seam on one side had fallen apart and needed repair and reinforcement. The skin was so old and dry it was crumbling, and the whole thing STANK. The actor that has to wear it gets my sympathy!  Tonight was one of the strangest things ever- a rolled up pair of socks as a makeshift codpiece, sewn into a pair of black and sparkly gold men's briefs.

Efemera

Re: The foulest thing and the weirdest thing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Ohhhhh my! :|

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
You are very brave!  Hope it all went well  :flower:

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
WW, had you done a bad thing?  Was this your punishment?  It sounds revolting.... Poor Actor.

Poor you!  :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 19:48:53 PM »
Yuk!!!!!  It is making my skin crawl just thinking about it, let alone the poor actor having to wear it!!

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Yuk!! Oh Wendy you have my sympathy!!  I hate getting items for adjustments that are not clean. Makes me want a shower after!!
Was Sewnanny

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 13:21:01 PM »
Am I the only one wondering if you had to fit the codpiece in situ??  0_0  0_0

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 15:04:06 PM »
Am I the only one wondering if you had to fit the codpiece in situ??  0_0  0_0

LOL! Thank goodness, NO! Brand new, UNWORN, pair of briefs!  0_0 0_0 0_0

mammafairy

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
  Tonight was one of the strangest things ever- a rolled up pair of socks as a makeshift codpiece, sewn into a pair of black and sparkly gold men's briefs.

You haven't read Terry Pratchett's 'Monstrous Regiment'?

Always take a spare pair of socks with you...

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 17:09:23 PM »
Brilliant.  I once wore a vile smelly goatskin rug for a school play.  Androcles and the lion- I think I was Ferrovius, which was amusing casting because I was a tiny, skinny, bespectacled nerd of about 10.  Apart from the moulting and the smell, I remember struggling to say 'magnanimous'.  Looking at the script now, that seems to indicate that I played the emperor.  Who knows?  lol
C'est moi!