The Sewing Place

Mate Your Orphans Competition

BrendaP

Re: Mate Your Orphans Competition
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »
The compromise is that I've ordered a short length of the pink silk to make a shift top.  Probably New Look 6163
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
and use the black, currently being pre-washed, to make some smart trousers.

Meanwhile I'm trying to think of what to do with those other fabrics, other than letting them mature in the stash.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 15:28:34 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 11:02:23 AM »
I might actually be able to make something for this now and add it to my SWAKOP. I have two lovely tops, the same one in black one in white. They are 3/4 sleeve tops with a deep V and a lace inset at the neckline and they sit ever so slightly off the shoulders (just on the shoulder bone). Really nice dressy tops but they are irritatingly short. They need to be tucked in really but I don't wear trousers with tucked in tops, so I need a nice full black skirt I think. Something classy to wear to nice dinners and such.

Edit: found a pic

Manuela

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
@Francesca, that sounds like an excellent plan  :)

Francesca

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
Has anyone sewn with pleated plisse fabric?

I have some that would work for this, but my concern is that because the pleats are even it'll hang like a straight skirt. My hips are obviously not conducive to a nice straight silhouette.

Considering making loose trousers instead:

Kwaaked

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
Well, the only thing I have that is a relative orphan is my ugly pants.

Considering they're at the fair right now (yes, yes I DID enter those suckers into a sewing fair here), they aren't really orphans since I won't even get them back until October.

So...yeah, you're welcome!  I'm not going to do it!

Manuela

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 22:57:06 PM »
Hmm, it has gotten very quiet here....

Mocarroll

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 20:31:01 PM »
In the quietness I have been trying to learn how to insert pictures, so here goes...
I do like a shirt and made this     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   a couple of years ago using Lekala 5988and 50p  ametre fabric from Walthamstow market.  Could never find anything to wear with it.
So bought thisfrom Fabricland to make https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/jasmine-pant/some trousers.  Finally bought some soft sweater knit at £3.99 from TiaKnight to make a long cardi using a self-drafted pattern.  Trousers almost finished and cardigan cut out and ready to go, shouldn't take long  0_0!

Edited to turn the sideways picture
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:42:41 AM by Manuela »

Mocarroll

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Still hopeless at this, need more practice  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Here’s picture of the fabric for cardigan and trousers.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SkoutSews

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
@Mocarroll , I love that shirt.  Great fabric and style with the pintucks and pearl embellishment.

Manuela

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 13:39:12 PM »
I like to have a go at all the garment contests, but am a bit stumped on this one. I've been sewing wardrobes for years now ( and letting orphans go) so not quite sure what I would have as my inspiration piece.

In have got a half finished safari jacket in a dark olive green which is not one of my normal colours. Don't know what I'd sew to go with it then. Maybe some striped trousers in an even darker olive/brown and a pink turtle neck top?
capsule wardrobe and charity craft sewing mostly.

Efemera

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 20:47:12 PM »
I think I’ve enough to fill an orphanage!...

Mocarroll

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2018, 14:43:42 PM »
Well here we are, all finished.  That was the easy bit, now the tricky bit, getting the photos in!
I wanted to make a casual Autumn outfit using a camel blouse I made a few years ago.  I made this long-line cardigan  using my overlocker and hemmed with the coverstitch machine.  It was a dream to work with and only took a few hours.
Trousers are really comfy but I've still got a bit of a saggy butt where I need to take a fish-eye dart next time.  Luckily cardigan covers it.
All in all an outfit for less than £20!  Blouse, 50p a metre from Walthamstow market, cardigan £3.99m from Tia Knight and trousers £3.99m from Fabricland.
And here is the whole outfit.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

......And finally, another orphan screamed "What about me?" and I remembered this blouse that I made a few years ago using this pattern and some lovely Liberty silk which just happens to go perfectly with the colours in the cardigan.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 14:45:40 PM by Francesca »

Mocarroll

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2018, 14:46:42 PM »
See, I told you I was hopeless...!

Here is the cardigan and other blouse  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Francesca

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2018, 14:47:33 PM »
You posted the same image in your first post twice so I edited one out :)

Also you don't have to insert the images into the post if you'd prefer not to. They can stay just as attachments to the post, and then people can choose to click and expand them if they like! :)