The Sewing Place

Knit foot vs walking foot

Mmb93

Knit foot vs walking foot
« on: July 30, 2018, 19:07:14 PM »
Hi, I'm looking to start sewing knits. I have a knit foot but don't know if it's worth investing in a walking foot.

Does anyone have any experience on which is better or is there not much in it.

Thanks xx

Efemera

Re: Knit foot vs walking foot
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 19:36:36 PM »
If you’re seriously thinking of sewing knits then you’d be better off getting an overlocker. You can sew knits on an ordinary machine... no need for a walking foot.

eclectic

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:06:05 AM »
I am not sure what a knit foot is (maybe an overlock foot???) but I have a walking foot and I love it !!

Bobbinalong

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 15:22:23 PM »
I use a walking foot when sewing knits, works well.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 17:26:36 PM »
For several layers and long seams a walking foot has its' advantages. I don't know how the knitting foot with the moving finger on  the needle clamp works. It looks like there is a bit of presser release action when the lower feed dogs are in upward motion (moving the fabric). Flimsy jersey can stretch during sewing, and I guess it lessens the problem. My trick for jersey has been to lower the presser foot tenison, no drag or anything for simple seams like joining pieces, cuffs, hems... Then I just use the basic zigzag foot, and just a stretchy stitch pattern. For the odd job and garment you don't need an overlocker, just a good basic machine. The main advantage with the overlocker is the two needle stitch patterns; they are different than the one needle patterns on the regular machine. There's of course the neat edging with the cutting knife. With a few exceptions a basic machine has less stitch width than an over locker, and less speed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 18:08:45 PM by arrow »

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 17:41:56 PM »
When I started sewing stretch garments 3 or 4 years ago I bought a walking foot which has been worth it's weight in gold. When it broke last year I would have ordred a replacement pronto but my DH kindly fixed it. It makes sewing the stretchier stuff on my sewing machine much easier, and works great I find for faux leather and anything with thick seams. I have an overlocker now but there's still usually the odd seam that I like my sewing machine best for, so to have both is ideal. But either way I say you won't regret investing in a walking foot.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 17:44:03 PM »
I have a 3 thread overlocker but just use a regular sewing machine set on a very slight zig zag, maybe 0.5 width and a normal stitch length. I have used a straight stitch with success as well. I agree with arrow about lowering the presser foot tension.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Bobbinalong

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
I agree that lessening the presser foot tension is a help but many machines do not have this option. My mid-range Janome has fixed pressure, I was really surprised when I first got it since my older machine, a F&R from the 70s was adjustable.