The Sewing Place

Making a plain knit top more interesting

SewRuthieSews

Making a plain knit top more interesting
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
I sew and wear a lot of knit tops.
A lot are prints or colours so the interest comes from that.
But I want to make one in a dark charcoal grey. It will have classic set in sleeves as it needs to go under jackets or the matching jersey cardigan. I then want a 'bit' of something in the upper chest (I am modestly busted) to give some interest in that area.

I did have one plain dark navy top I sewed and wore until it wore out. That had little strips of self jersey (5 I think, I can't find a picture) which were slightly gathered and stitched on in vertical parallel rows in a V shape. the longest in the centre, graduating to shorter. It was a nice detail without being too fussy for me.

I've also seen ones with a lace yoke and or lace sleeves.

I'm also considering a cowl neck though that's quite fabric hungry and I'm using scraps.

Any other ideas for 'interest' in the upper chest whilst still be work appropriate (ie no bling!)

b15erk

Re: Making a plain knit top more interesting
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
Ruthie, looking for something else, I came across this

I'm not a Threads insider, so haven't got access to the full article.  The embellishment looks lovely though.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
Contrast piping between the neck band and main bodice.

Self fabric flower or butterfly "brooch".  Use a stretch iron-on interfacing to support the fabric to make something like this.

Additional fancy seams like this.  Use a decorative machine stitch, or a cover stitch, over the seams.

A self fabric tie on the neck band like this.

A Keyhole opening like this.

Ruching - elastic or a drawstring - down the front like this.  Not necessarily going right down to the hem.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
How about this?

Peggy describes the technique for the neck on the white top at about 52.58.  I'll have to try this one myself, it looks lovely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 20:36:08 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, I've saved them for later musing.

Clareew

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 22:14:11 PM »
The Sinclair patterns Macy is a flattering cowl neck which doesn't take too much fabric.
I reviewed it on Sewingpatternreview
My review

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
Guipure lace trim.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
@Clareew you made a kumihimo frog fastening and a Christmas tree hat! Respeck!  8)
That Macy top looks lovely. Are the arm scyes really that neat?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Clareew

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 14:53:43 PM »
@wrenkins  I didn't change anything on the pattern, even the shoulders had the right slope!!

Re the frogs and the hat.  I love a challenge and a bit of individuality.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 14:55:26 PM by Clareew »

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
I've got a RTW top that I really like where the sleeve edges and neck are done in a contrasting fabric/colour.  Since then I've kept the scraps of anything done in knit fabric.  I've got a tub full and still not used any yet. I know what you mean though, it does make a top that bit more interesting and expensive.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Guipure lace trim.

I've seen a LOT of knit tops trimmed with guipure this year - matched to the knit and added to the bottom hem and sometimes either the sleeve hems or to an empire-like seam under the bust.    Travelled home on the train yesterday opposite a lady wearing a navy version, looked lovely on her.  Hope she didn't mind that I kept staring at her top  :|

BayCreekGal

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:07 AM »
I have a couple of RTW tops that have the neck trimmed with pleated, toning, woven fabric.  The trim in both is cut on the bias and not finished.  On one, it's just about 1/2" of the pleated fabric sticking up from the inside of the neck.  That one is a semi sheer fabric.  The other one has about 2" pleated and sewn over the neckline in two seams about an inch apart.  I like that not only does it have a bit of texture from the pleating, but the texture of the fabric is different too.