The Sewing Place

Bee shirt

Ploshkin

Bee shirt
« on: August 01, 2018, 15:44:41 PM »
During the summer I attend several local shows with our beekeeping association.  I've been looking for some fabricwith bees on (not cutesy ones with silly faces) to make a shirt or t shirt.  There are a lot of nice fabrics in America with £20 shipping but not so easy to find one here. 
I found this one on Etsy - it wasn't cheap.  It's a fine, polyester, very stretchy jersey (there was a choice of fabrics to have the design printed on)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

T shirt made.  It looks awful in the photo - when worn there aren't any of those wrinkles round the neck!  I only had the hems to finish today but I think they took me as long as the rest put together.  I have never found a go to method for hemming jersey.  I tried all sorts of stitches, double fold, single fold etc but ended up with a strip of fine stretch fusible interfacing, a single fold and a single line of stitching.  In the process I completely lost my glasses (not sure how they got in the kitchen when I hadn't been in there) and melted a lump of the fabric, fortunately a spare scrap, to the bottom of the iron. 
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Life's too short for ironing.

eclectic

Re: Bee shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 17:27:06 PM »
Hi ploshkin ... it looks like you have used a coverstitch on the neck binding ..did you use the same for the hem? Usually a jersey wouldnt be a double fold just a single and you could try wonder tape, so no ironing. If the hem has gone wavy that means the fabric has stretched out due to to too much pressure. I love the wonder tape its so easy to use and i just dip it on water and it dissolves.... I hope you enjoy your new tee I bet you look bee-utifull

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 17:30:15 PM »
Lovely tee @Ploshkin and well done for finding that fabric. With stretchy knits I use this stuff and either twin needle or zigzag (if it won't show much). But that's never been 100% satisfactory as I find those stitches seem to reduce the stretch. So I've just bought a...coverstitch machine.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 18:18:34 PM »
The tee shirt looks great - and just right fo advertising your bees and honey.

The hems of stretchy knit fabric definitely need stabilising; wonder tape or strips of stretch interfacing and only a single turn hem as it won't fray or unravel.  If you have a a coverstitcher use that, if not a twin needle works almost as well.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 18:51:27 PM »
@eclectic no I didn't use a coverstitch for the neckband, I don't have one.  I just attached the band with the overlocker and topstitched with a single line of stitching.
The strip of stretch interfacing worked well for the hem it was just a faff cutting it and after my melting incident I was a bit wary of fusing it.  I normally only buy cotton jersey but didn't have that choice.
@Vezelay stop trying to tempt me
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 20:07:53 PM by Ploshkin »

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 19:02:59 PM »
@eclectic no I didn't use a coverstitch for the neckband, I don't have one.  I just attached the band with the overlocker and prostitutes with a single line of stitching.

EH? :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 19:19:04 PM »
I always think a triple zig zag stitch works better than the ordinary zig zag.  I use a coverstitch myself but do lots of jersey work.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 20:09:32 PM »
@wrenkins  now that I've stopped laughing I've corrected it to topstitched. Sometimes autocorrect excels itself.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 21:45:18 PM »
That was a belter @Ploshkin. I laughed till I cried.  0_0 I couldn't think what you could possibly mean. 
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
I just didn't like to ask  :o :)

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »
                                  EH? :o

Hahahahaha!  Brilliant!!  I hadn't seen that until now, that made me laugh so much!  Got to love autocorrect  :S

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
I'm on a gardening forum. Don't even start with nasturtiums!!!!!  :o

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
I love nasturtiums - just don't like the fact that they attract bugs of the eating sort - butterfly eggs, which grow, and eat everything in sight!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
I love them @b15erk but predictive text has a way of making them unseemly.  ;)