The Sewing Place

Top Using Woven Fabric For Front And A Knit For The Back

Helen M

Top Using Woven Fabric For Front And A Knit For The Back
« on: August 02, 2018, 20:15:41 PM »
I've seen them in the shops in a T shirt shape with short sleeves and wondered if I can just use a loose ish pattern for knits? I've made this pattern before and it fits and the fabric is a lawn with embroidery for the front and a plain white viscose knit with 4% elastane for back and sleeves. I've made said top with identical knit fabric before as well.

Anything I should be aware of before cutting? I'd thought of making the side seams on front a bit more generous.

The pattern is SA Alannah

Any thoughts most welcome!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

BrendaP

Re: Top Using Woven Fabric For Front And A Knit For The Back
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
Tee shirt patterns like that with no darts rely on the stretchiness of the fabric.  If you are a buxom lady with curves it might not work but if you are less well endowed a woven on the front with stretch jersey for the back and sleeves should be fine.  Most of the stretching done by tee shirts is in the upper back/shoulders.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

Re: Top Using Woven Fabric For Front And A Knit For The Back
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 17:31:41 PM »
Thank you both  :)

I'm narrow (more so on the front) have made this top in both a 4 and a 6 with good results so maybe if I do a lazy FBA by just increasing the side seam around bust area on front and maybe using the size 6 apart from the neckline and shoulder area it could just work. I have a Lois Hinse pattern that can be used for either woven or knit, I've made it in a knit and it doesn't have a dart even for the wove. I may have a look at that pattern before cutting out.

I'll keep you posted!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72