The Sewing Place

Got a hankering for a shirt dress

b15erk

Got a hankering for a shirt dress
« on: August 06, 2018, 15:23:32 PM »
After making a couple of the Bernina shirtdresses (well, one and a half), I have a fancy for something similar, but a little bit different.

I have found two that I like.  The first is Vogue 9077 , but having looked at Pattern Review, I'm not too sure.

The next is McCalls 6696, which again has a few less than positive reviews.

Any help from you lovely ladies?  I'm desperately trying to revive my Mojo which is languishing in the depths of the Stash atm......

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

Re: Got a hankering for a shirt dress
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 15:26:37 PM »
I have the McCalls  sitting at my elbow right now. I would love to make it but I think I need a bit more practice at other things first.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 15:50:49 PM »
That McCall's is very popular and it's on my radar as the basis for the Balenciaga knock-off that I want to make.  Jstarr reviewed an excellent version in which she eliminated the excessive back bodice blousing.

Bobbinalong

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 23:40:21 PM »
I've not made it, but that McCalls one does have loads of good reviews, most criticism is of the back blousing and the pattern calling for a lot of handsewing which can no doubt be got around if that's not your thing.  Quite a different look from the two you've chosen, but I have made the SOI Vintage Shirt Dress three times, and I don't usually repeat!

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Simplicity 8014 makes up VERY nicely.  Here's the version I made for my mum
C'est moi!

Samantha

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:31 AM »
Funnily enough, I've just been looking at this one Samantha - I like the one without the collar.

Also found a free one in Simply Sewing Issue 8, this one has a circle skirt - not too sure about that....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 14:01:46 PM »
Burda 6760 is a simple shirtdress.  I made it in a printed cotton chambray last year and would definitely make it again.  Burda patterns seem to suit my shape much better then the Big 4, so I do favour them!

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 17:37:03 PM »
There are a few nice examples on Lekala and you can customise your size, too.  No use if you need instructions, they may as well remain in Russian for all the good they do, but good patterns.

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
@b15erk I posted the wrong link  :S  it's this one I've got

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
@b15erk I posted the wrong link  :S  it's this one I've got

Same as my favourite.  It's a very well drafted pattern
C'est moi!