The Sewing Place

Vogue V9202

Silver Rose

Vogue V9202
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
This is the first Vogue pattern   I have bought and.. gulp...it cost me £14.75. Has anybody made this?  I was thinking of making View F in a plain colour Ponte. The other pattern I got was McCalls 7122     I like the raglan sleeve as a change but not so keen on the slight flair in the skirt, the photo of the model looks better than the line drawings.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:29:55 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Morgan

Re: Vogue V9202
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 13:01:10 PM »
That Vogue 9202 is a good buy type of pattern. 
The styling works really well for all sorts of body shapes and once you've sorted out your personalised fit pattern, you'll have a TNT Wardrobe builder pattern.  Fitted for wovens and then adjusted for knits it's got so much potential for different versions.

It's ideal for applying your own details, - different neckline shapes, hem lines variations from tunic to maxi, different sleeve lengths and down the line you could adapt for different sleeve styles, add trims, pockets or other features, try some colour blocking or mixed fabrics, etc. 
It could be a really versatile pattern and the more variations and versions you do, the cheaper the pattern becomes ie. price per use rather than price per pattern.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 13:20:21 PM by Morgan »

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 16:19:10 PM »
@Silver Rose: Vogues are shockingly expensive and I only bought at sale time.  I have this pattern which, of course, I never made.  However, having seen this beautiful version, I am seeing how well it could be done.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 16:58:57 PM »
You know, I don't mind buying patterns at full price, especially Vogue.  Most INdie ones cost at least a tenner, and are generally a bit crap.  With Vogue, I usually only choose ones with interesting style lines or unique features, so I'm happy to fork out [happier still if I hit a sale, but I don't hang about]
C'est moi!

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
I chose this one because I like the curved seam under the bust and as Morgan said there are several variations in the one pattern.
Still learning

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
I’ve made this pattern. It’s very flattering and easy to make up. I made up the flared version with long sleeves.
Procrastination get behind me

jen

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »
I haven’t made this pattern, but as others have said it looks like good value, because the design lines make it easier to get a good fit and there are several options. Once you’ve tweaked it to fit you perfectly, you could rerun it again and again with different fabrics. I agree with DF that Vogues are generally worth the extra money compared to some of the slightly cheaper offerings. You get patterns for every single piece you need, I don’t think I’ve ever had a drafting blunder (pieces that don’t fit each other), and the design often has a bit of extra oomph. The only thing to watch is the amount of wearing ease. Sometimes there’s been more than I like, it’s crucial to measure across the tissue at key points before cutting out a size. I also find making a toile or picking a cheap fabric for a first run through saves tears. That said, I buy more Vogues than any other patterns, they’re worth the money imo.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
I have read that the sizing is somewhat generous so although I don't often make a toile I will in this case as I am not familiar with sewing Vogue patterns. The more I look at the pattern the more I like it.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 23:24:15 PM »
having seen this beautiful version, I am seeing how well it could be done.

I see that she has added sewn in labels.  Does anyone else do this?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:09 AM »
Her label has a lot of detail, but she used to run a business.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
I see that she has added sewn in labels.  Does anyone else do this?

I do, when I'm not too lazy. I got labels made by my colleages as a farewell gift when I left my last job in the fashion industry. I don't add care labels though.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »
That's a  nice pattern @Silver Rose and you you should get lots of use out of it which will definitely justify the cost. I usually buy Vogues in UK half price sales or I buy 3 Vogues at a time from the US website when they have sales (and I'm a ClubBMV member @ $9.99 pa which reduces the cost further). 3 Vogues keeps the cost in the lower postage range and keeps it under the amount where customs costs kick in. This way it works out at about £8 to £8.50 a pattern inc postage but you do have to buy 3 (not difficult  :devil: ) to make the postage worthwhile. They take 10 days to arrive. I've just ordered 3 from the new Vogue autumn patterns.

I do have labels which say, as it were, 'Made by Tamnymore in Tamnytown'. My first set were Cash labels which were excellent but  the second set were ordered through the Sew Today magazine and they are poor quailty. If you do get labels made go for good quality ones as it will just annoy you otherwise!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:34:47 AM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, my friend keeps saying he is going to design a label for me to put in the clothes I make for myself, I think it is an awful idea especially as the name he comes up with is "Junique" :S  uniquely made by June.
Still learning

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, my friend keeps saying he is going to design a label for me to put in the clothes I make for myself, I think it is an awful idea especially as the name he comes up with is "Junique" :S  uniquely made by June.
I have some sew-in  labels but I mainly put them into clothes made for other people rather than for myself.  The missus really loves them, and always flashes them at people!  I had some years ago [in the 80s I think] that gave my full name, but two name changes later, they all got binned [such a waste] so now they just say 'Hand made by Elaine'.  I'm not running  a business so don't need a catchy tag!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 13:30:15 PM »
@Silver Rose: Vogue patterns include a label in the envelope.  I made this

I sewed the label to the waistband.