The Sewing Place

Viscose Jersey fabric slipping

annieg

Viscose Jersey fabric slipping
« on: August 03, 2018, 14:49:38 PM »
I'm trying to cut a dress out on very slippery viscose jersey and am having trouble keeping the selveges matched as they keep rolling in.
Does anyone have any hints to how to manage this?
(I was wondering if I matched selveges and pinned them at intervals along the edge?
Annieg  -<

b15erk

Re: Viscose Jersey fabric slipping
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 15:06:53 PM »
Pinning, spray starch, weights....

You need lots of patience when this happens.  Pins can tend to distort the edge, but can work well.  Spray starch can flatten things out, and weights are good.

Try not to let the edges of the fabric overhang, that will help a lot.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 15:36:20 PM »
I always cut out one layer as it's easier to keep control of the fabric.  One reason I like StyleArc is that often they include the full piece rather than a half. But for other patterns, I just trace around the half piece and attach to the existing half piece.  If the original is to be cut on the fold I add a grain line (using one of my long quilting rulers) an inch from the edge.  If it's to have a seam I omit the seam allowance when taping the two halves together.

I started doing it this way when I started sewing with knits because it seemed that one half would be perfectly on grain and the other would be slightly off.  I no longer have that problem.  Once I developed the habit I started doing it on everything.  You just have to be careful to flip the pattern piece over when doing half sides like sleeves or pant legs.

You could also use pins on the curvy bits of the patterns in addition to weights.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 16:12:35 PM »
Just wait until you start sewing!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 16:16:48 PM »
It will help if you lay the fabric out on some cotton fabric.  Just helps to grip it better.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieg

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 17:16:29 PM »
I wonder if a someone who sews for an job would be interested in cutting the pattern out for me if I sent it to them.
(Not sewing it .. just laying the pattern and cutting it out and sending back the pieces with the pattern still attached ... if you know what I mean.  For a fee, of course!)
? is this a crazy idea?
Annie g

eclectic

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 19:44:21 PM »
@annieg hang in there and persevere (spellcheck on that one!) Follow mudcats advice and cut on the flat instead of on the fold as like she said the underside can get 'wonky'. Even if you pay someone to cut ot for you it could still arrive curled... better to start being in charge from the get go ... and you will start to 'understand' the fabric better. Curling can be normal on knits ... wash away wonder tape is fab. It stabilizes it for sewing, holds it together and then dissolves in water after a dip.... you can do this

annieg

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 13:33:38 PM »
@eclectic As it happens I have some wonder tape!
Thanks to all the replies.
 :D
Annieg

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 14:02:49 PM »
I often pin the selvedges together - works well for me.