The Sewing Place

Butterick 6318

Ravingdoll

Butterick 6318
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
More flamingoes!  I bought 8 metres last year with a view to making a set of shorts, top, wrap around skirt etc for my cruise.  Then I remembered I was going to Norway and not the Med!  So I’ve now made two dresses with it. This one has a more modest neckline and thus more suitable for work.  It’s a free pattern from Love Sewing and apart from an FBA and a small pinch-out above the bust fits like a dream.   I now know too that unless a sash is shown on the illustrations separately it is sewn into the side seams and not separate.  I will remember this if I make it again and cut it out at the same time!  I like it though because it cinches in the waist more which is a look I like.  Much as I love the dresses I’ve made and flamingoes I am not sorry to move onto a different fabric now though.   

Bowerbird

Re: Butterick 6318
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
Love your work!

And here's a song to go with it.

Pretty Flamingo

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
RD, looking at some of the beautiful things you make and intend to wear at work can I ask if you are unique in your style of clothes at work or have I got the wrong idea about what non-uniform workwear is (probably due to too much TV watching?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
What a happy song @Bowerbird - love it! 

@Sewingsue yes I probably do take some liberties with my workwear!  However I do have a locker at work, which always has hanging in it a full clean uniform, a black suit for court and ‘subdued’ clothing for warrants, interviewing suspects etc.   Being in the child abuse/sexual exploitation unit I do deal with an awful lot of damaged children and I have found that when I am colourfully dressed they don’t relate to me so much as an authoritative figure but someone they can talk to which is important when I have to get their evidence and I get a better rapport with them, especially teenage girls who love to talk about my dresses and make up.    When I am at work though I always have ‘police’ hair, i.e, can’t easily be pulled and I never wear jewellery.   I do sometimes change up to four times in one working day! 

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 15:59:44 PM »
Thank you, RD, that makes sense (especially not looking like ra polis).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
That's a lovely dress and the fabric is fab!