The Sewing Place

What is morricaine polyester fabric?

Lilian

What is morricaine polyester fabric?
« on: August 04, 2018, 21:56:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me what this fabric is and what it sews like. I am looking for a lightweight fabric for a summer maxi dress, I don't want to have to line it.  I am hoping someone might have used this.

Lilian  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Lizzy777

Re: What is morricaine polyester fabric?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 22:02:56 PM »
Can anyone tell me what this fabric is and what it sews like. I am looking for a lightweight fabric for a summer maxi dress, I don't want to have to line it.  I am hoping someone might have used this.

Lilian  :vintage:

I've never heard of morricaine polyester so i did some googling .

It's just 100% polyester and I suspect the 'morricaine' part has either come from some brand name or a name a manufacturer has used. But it is just 100% polyester.

For example, on this link, the site has put it has a slight crepe effect and is lightweight. You can get polyester in lots of different effects and lots of different weights. I would just view it for what it is , which is,that it is polyester.

lizzy

https://www.1stforfabrics.co.uk/product/lightweight-100-polyester-morricaine-white-with-bright-flowers/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 22:08:34 PM by Lizzy777 »

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 22:06:27 PM »
Thanks @Lizzy777 I think you are right.   :) That's the site I found and liked a pattern but don't know if I want 100% polyester, might be a bit warm.  -<

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 22:11:05 PM »
I struggle wearing some polyester. @Lilian What are you looking at making? Maybe another type of fabric would be better? I really like viscose with 3% or 5% elastane but you can get some lovely viscose fabrics with are 100% viscose too and are much better than polyester.

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 22:22:25 PM »
Do they do samples? Might be worth getting one to see what it is like.

There's one here like yours but it is 100% viscose (no stretch). I'll post the link but unfortunately when I pressed on the middle one (like the one you were looking at ) it has sold out but if you press the middle fabric you can see for comparison what viscose would like and it is only £5.99 a metre compared to the thin polyester at £5 a metre. I'll have another hunt around for you tomorrow if you like?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Floral-Vintage-printed-Viscose-Dress-Fabric-56-Wide-MA825-/192456478862

lizzy

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 22:51:57 PM »
@Lizzy777 I struggle with the hot weather and don't like to show my legs (badlly scarred from a dog attack a few years ago) I have bought a couple of long dresses but would like to make some of my own.  I have a picture of two of the dresses, The greeny one is actually 100% polyester and I wore it for a ruby wedding anniversay last month. I didn't feel too warm in it and it does have some texture, but I like the weight and it hangs beautifully.  The blue one (100% viscose)is very comfy, I want to wear it every day! So  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   thought I might take a pattern from it and make some more.

Not the best photo, there is some pink in the blue one but it didn't show up! lol

EDIT: The link you showed is a very nice fabric, but I need a bit more colour. I will save that seller, thank you :-)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 23:05:10 PM by Lilian »

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Polyester gets a bad rap.  It's not all hot and nasty, but you need to feel it.  This is why I don't buy fabric online.

This

is gorgeous.  I wonder if I shouldn't just buy some fabric and run up a few quick circle skirts for my New York holiday? -<

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
I think that's supposed to be marocain.  At least it used to be.  It's a crepe style fabric so has a surface texture to it.  Think the name is derived from Moroccan.
I can't wear polyester either.  If you want something cool and drapey go for viscose.  Or you could try Liberty Tana lawn.  Soft fine and comfy.  Not quite as drapey as viscose and more expensive but lovely stuff.  Other lawn doesn't really compare in my opinion.
@UttaRetch that is a lovely print.  Go for it!  If you can wear poly you're onto a winner, it's a bargain.
This fabric site is another new one to me.  Like I need any more! :)

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 19:46:07 PM »
Thanks @Ohsewsimple it sounds a bit the the old crimplene, don't think I'll bother with that. I have some nice dress fabric that was intended as quilt backing so I'll use that  :vintage: :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 20:20:18 PM »
@Lilian I don't think it would be like crimplene.  :o.  Ooh er.   Yuk!   No I think it's just got a crepe texture so not necessarily a smooth finish but probably fairly fine.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 21:20:12 PM »
@Lilian: it's not going to be Crimplene.  What about getting a sample?

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 22:59:10 PM »
@Lilian I don't think it would be like crimplene.  :o.  Ooh er.   Yuk!   No I think it's just got a crepe texture so not necessarily a smooth finish but probably fairly fine.

@Ohsewsimple I used to wear crimplene in my younger years, I call it 'cringlene' :x

I checked that site for a sample but they charge £4.95 p&p for a half metre!  Will call them to check.  I do like the pattern though.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »
Crimplene is no worse than scuba knit.  As it happens, I picked up this

from a vintage market seller.  I have no idea what to do with it nor do I have the classic Quant skinny mini body.

maliw

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »
I bought a piece of this
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/collections/viscose/products/one-off-1-6-mtr-bright-fushia-floral-viscose-marocain-dress-fabric-material-b48?variant=8777861627958
because I liked the pattern!! I wasn't sure exactly what it was but when it came the texture is 'crepe-y' I think it will be a pair of wide trousers.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 13:15:40 PM »
I bought a piece of this
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/collections/viscose/products/one-off-1-6-mtr-bright-fushia-floral-viscose-marocain-dress-fabric-material-b48?variant=8777861627958
because I liked the pattern!! I wasn't sure exactly what it was but when it came the texture is 'crepe-y' I think it will be a pair of wide trousers.

@maliw That's a good website, I like the fabric you bought  :) I will save this seller.  Thanks  :vintage: