The Sewing Place

Can I break the habit of a lifetime??

Lowena

Can I break the habit of a lifetime??
« on: March 22, 2017, 13:52:42 PM »
I am a disgrace to womanhood, in that, I have never been able to multitask!!  :|
I have to complete on thing / job / task etc before embarking on the next.
Now......I really want to make this Quiltalongathon thingy but it spreads over time  >:) I have 2 other quilts to make ( one by the end of April and one by July ) plus the BOM!!!!!!!
Can I steel bring myself to do any of these projects simultaneously???
My mind is already reeling......where will I keep things so they're tidy, accessible and separate? How will I allocate time? Will I get mixed up? Can I cope????????
Answers pleeeaaase  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

Re: Can I break the habit of a lifetime??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 14:03:32 PM »
Boxes, Low, boxes.  Just keep them in nicely labled boxes!

You'll soon get the hang of it :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 14:07:39 PM »
What a good  idea...I love buying storage facilities.. but... where  would I keep the boxes??  >:) :D
Hoorah! This is my 300th post ( too much chat and not enough sewing )

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 16:07:07 PM »
Lowena we are all waiting with baited breath to see if you give multi tasking a whirl :).

If you buy boxes with lovely clip on lids can you stack them?  My problem is that I have loads of
boxes but of varying sizes so the stacks can be somewhat precarious
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 21:54:11 PM by Ellabella »

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 16:52:58 PM »
Yes I was going to say 'boxes' I adore storage boxes amost as much as I do fabric! Believe it or not I do sort of understand your dilema but I solved it years ago by the list method ..... if it's on a list and I know where the list is then my brain is free! Of course this does necessitate lists of lists so to help with that you can make yourself a nice cover for a file! This is one I did for my sister who loves frogs the one I did for me is more fancy but as yet I've never taken a photo of it!
Good luck you'll soon get the hang of it ... remember if it's on a list and in a box you can wipe it from your mind whilst you concentrate on the priority in hand!

:vintage:

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 17:57:21 PM »
Lowena we are all waiting with baited breath to see if you give multi tasking a whirl :).

I bait my breath with chocolate and cheese.
C'est moi!

maliw

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 18:02:29 PM »
Yes plastic see through boxes are the way to go. I'd be lost under fabric without them and I have at least two unfinished quilts in them for when I get my "round tuit". 0_0 Go on Lowena, you know we're a bad influence, in a good way.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 18:05:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions girls. Trouble is....I have nowhere in the workshop to stack them. I share it with OH, the decorating materials, toolboxes et al. I mustn't take up floor space as it's only a passage between the bench and table . No room on shelving unit and if I use the bench I have nowhere to cut.....hmmm........ so many things to be given consideration  >:)
Perhaps Iminei can help, she has seen my workspace and is more spatially aware than me  :D
I wonder if lists would work.....could I switch my brain from one project to another??  >:)
Much to ponder......

Lantana

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 18:18:28 PM »
I wonder if lists would work.....could I switch my brain from one project to another??  >:)
Much to ponder......

If it's on a list it won't matter so much where the boxes are. Is there no little niche elsewhere in the house I know you don't like clutter but boxes aren't so bad. After all you are only intending it to be temporary ... it's just how things have worked out just now.  :)

Wouldn't it be good if we could store stuff in clouds like on the computer! Sky hooks would also be handy!

:vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 18:59:34 PM »
 :D :D Totally agree about The Cloud, Lantana, I have no difficulty in accessing my Kindle / Audible books.
In the house!!! OH would have 50 fits if anything strayed in from the workshop  :devil: I even keep all my finished projects out there  ( quilts, toys, cushions, ongoing knitting ) or I get "and what are you going to do with that? Where's it going to go?"  :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 19:16:11 PM »
what are you going to do with that? Where's it going to go

There's an answer to that, but he might need some gas and air after... or before.

Put the project in a box. Label the box. Give yourself a note of where /what it is and when you need to fetch it out. Stop worrying about it. (We need a finger wagging emoji thing).

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 19:52:54 PM »
  or I get "and what are you going to do with that? Where's it going to go?"  :D

Answer.. 'that's for me to know and you to find out' :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Littleswadie

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 20:53:39 PM »
Oh Lowena, I sympathise. At my 21st birthday party, arranged by friends, one of them said that I was soooo single-minded and I spent the next 40 years thinking that it was a compliment.

Anyway, boxes are a good idea. I have a stack of those with clip-on lids but they fit into a sort of chest so that you can pull one out completely and not upset the stack. I got it in a hobbycraft, don't know if they still have them. If you have a table, one would probably fit underneath.

You will suffer relentless chivying if you try to opt out of the mystery quilt.

rubywishes

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »
Another voter here for the plastic boxes Lowie. However, being "space challenged" in my little room I have adapted so that I only have the one plastic storage box and in that I put all my projects which have been placed in individual large, super heavy duty, clear, zip lock bags. Very compact, very neat, very organised. I love these bags...may have actually thieved them from Mr.Ruby at some stage...can't/refuse to remember!  8) (whistling as I stroll innocently off into the distance).
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!