The Sewing Place

Senior moment

Catllar

Senior moment
« on: August 05, 2018, 23:54:29 PM »
Trying to remember the name of the Indie company who produce patterns that look , to say the least, scruffy. The main fabric they seem to use for the pictures is creased-up linen and the photos that I've seen are not inviting. I have heard girls on here saying the patterns are on good thick paper and are very nice.  I've got a load of linen coming next week and have had an idea but need to have a look at these  patterns.  Anyone?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

Re: Senior moment
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 00:19:31 AM »
@Catllar not sure about the scruffy bit, but otherwise it could be Tessiti patterns you are talking about

https://www.tessuti-shop.com/collections/pattern-books

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
Merchant & Mills?

Sandra.
xxx

datcat23

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
I don't think you mean Tina Givens patterns.  They are certainly that oversized, bobo look, but their imagery is highly polished, so unlikely to look scruffy. 

BUT!!!!  Please don't go that way.  Their patterns may be printed on good quality paper, but that is where the quality ends!  They are shoddily designed, full of both design and instruction errors, and a waste of time, fabric and energy. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
@Sandra I agree it sounds like them. 

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
I had saved a pattern on my ebay where the model looked like an orphan dressed in Holly Hobby cast-offs. (Complete with turned in toes). I liked the jacket.  :S
Can I find it? Can I b*****y?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
I had saved a pattern on my ebay where the model looked like an orphan dressed in Holly Hobby cast-offs. (Complete with turned in toes). I liked the jacket.  :S
Can I find it? Can I b*****y?
Turned in toes is the Tilly look isn't it?  Plus that [fish slappable] smirk, turned away head as though terribly shy, and a general little girl look.  Aaaargh!

Colette pics are often a bit scruffy to my eye, but loads of Indies don't seem to possess an iron...
C'est moi!

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 14:04:32 PM »
Sounds like Merchant & Mills to me too.  I love their patterns, the fit and the look, and their fabric is to die for.  But I hate their pattern marketing!!

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 16:31:04 PM »
Oh well done - I knew I could depend on you lot! Merchant and Mills it was.  That said I"m liking some of the Tessutti pullover dresses too. Off to look. The linen arrived today - 5 metres of gorgeous! In the wash as I speak. ( Also 3 metres of lovely blue chambray for a pair of trousers for Mr C)

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 16:43:19 PM »
I don't think you mean Tina Givens patterns.  They are certainly that oversized, bobo look, but their imagery is highly polished, so unlikely to look scruffy. 

BUT!!!!  Please don't go that way.  Their patterns may be printed on good quality paper, but that is where the quality ends!  They are shoddily designed, full of both design and instruction errors, and a waste of time, fabric and energy.

That sounds like a heart-felt comment Dat!

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 17:36:10 PM »
I've just made a Tessuti Milendra dress and I am delighted with it.  The next one will be in a linen mix.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 13:47:42 PM »
I've just made a Tessuti Milendra dress and I am delighted with it.  The next one will be in a linen mix.

I was looking at that one - the line drawing looks quite slim fit at the hem - how much of  a problem do you think it would be to make it wider - would it work by making all the pleats deeper perhaps?

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 14:12:21 PM »
I haven't found it at all narrow at the hem - I think I could take a reasonable sized stride in it.  You could make it relatively wider by increasing the pleats, but they are almost butted up to each other as it is (and, of course, you'd have to compensate because you'd be making the neck narrower).

The sizing is very generous though - I'll go down one or two sizes for the next one.  I'll also do the pockets the simple way next time (or miss them out), rather than using their instructions!

There are lots of pictures of the dress on Instagram, but it took me ages to dig them out and I don't know how I did it, so I can't link to anything.  If you're familiar with Instagram it's well worth a look.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 23:15:01 PM »
Ta Acorn. :flower:

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
I like M&M's trapeze dress, but am not impressed by the thrown down empty dress and the styling on live bodies is not much better.