The Sewing Place

May BurdaStyle summer dress #117

blubli

May BurdaStyle summer dress #117
« on: August 06, 2018, 23:15:03 PM »
This was a really rushed project. Very rushed. Project Runway-style rushed.

My boyfriend's parents celebrated their 40th anniversary a couple of weeks ago but I was only told my attendance was compulsory about a week in advance. They live in Ireland, I had nothing to wear for it due to recent weight gain, and I work full time in the next town over so the only time I could buy a dress would be the weekend before the event but I was too busy.

I had BurdaStyle 05/2018 #117 already traced so I figured I'd just make it...

I used some cheap chiffon I bought ages ago on Etsy because it's what I had, and some crappy lining that I found in my stash. The dress went together very nicely and was actually quite enjoyable, except for how I started it on a Wednesday evening after work and was hemming it the Saturday morning before my flight! I never realised before how slow I am at cutting chiffon. Especially the cheap polyester type (though to be fair, it behaved much better than I expected).

I intended to hem the dress at knee length (shorter than the original pattern because I'm short) but as I was hemming and packing for my flight basically at the same time, I ended up doing a quick and dirty high-low lettuce hem type thing to save time. Most women went with short dresses too so I was glad I kept mine shorter.

I'd love to remake this properly, with plenty of time and better planned materials. Maybe next summer.

The pictures were taken post-party and post-flight, so I'm sorry if the dress looks a bit worse for wear now. It was all scrunched up in my travel bag and it fits me better than it fits the dress form.

Nevis5

Re: May BurdaStyle summer dress #117
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »
Very pretty, @blubli !  You're braver than me, I wouldn't touch chiffon with a bargepole  :S  Looks lovely and cool too.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »
That looks lovely.

I love the style...but...oooooh!  :S   working with chiffon...and you're pushed for time.  :o Well done.

Sandra.
xxx

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
It looks great, I'd be proud of that. It doesn't look very crumpled - a useful holiday dress.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »
Really pretty - well done for such a good result under pressure!

A large cutting mat and sharp rotary cutter are a godsend for cutting out fabric like chiffon - no shifting around when you slide the scissors underneath.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
A lovely summery dress,  :flower:
You are braver than me working with chiffon to a tight deadline.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »
Great result for a rushed job! Really pretty dress, well done.  :toast:

tumblina

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 13:11:41 PM »
I'm late to see this, but I love everything about it!! You must have gotten compliments. Kudos for pulling it all together on such short notice!