The Sewing Place

Joining sashing strips

QuiltySisty

Joining sashing strips
« on: March 22, 2017, 14:31:56 PM »
I need to join sashing strips as I don't have enough fabric to cut them from the length of fabric.

It's a silly question because I'm sure I already know the answer, but I'm completely blanking!

Is there a "best" place to have the joining seam? I feel like if it's in the centre of the sashing, it will stick out more, but I don't know where to place it instead.

I've read that it's best to join the strips on the diagonal, but I'm probably going for a straight join, as it's right next to a scrappy sashing strip that is joined straight.

Lowena

Re: Joining sashing strips
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 16:40:08 PM »
I have used both straight and diagonal joins. Are your sashing strips plain
? I try to join about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way down the quilt. It doesn't seem to notice as much as it would in the middle. However I could be wrong.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 17:03:06 PM »
I agree that ⅓ or ¼ of the way down or across is less noticeable than in the centre,  and stagger them rather than having all the joins in a row, but I don't think there is a best place as such.

Using cornerstones at the intersections is another option.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

QuiltySisty

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 17:40:51 PM »
Lovely :-)

Thanks ladies! I shall get busy sewing it on :-)

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 18:07:37 PM »
Oh yes, I meant to add that I always stagger them  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
I completely missed this thread so I hope you are pleased with the outcome of your sashing strips...

When do we get to see some pics????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again