The Sewing Place

Enough already

UttaRetch

Enough already
« on: August 07, 2018, 13:17:54 PM »
I've seen sewn one seam of a GIANT circle skirt and want to put in the textile bag.  It's too damn hot and I am dripping with sweat that runs into my eyes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 13:24:02 PM by UttaRetch »

DementedFairy

Re: Enough already
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 13:22:10 PM »
Stop throwing stuff away woman!  Give it a break and go back to it later x I can only sew in the evenings lately when things cool down a bit
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 13:36:25 PM »
I'm not sewing at all - got a dress on Doris waiting to be finished, another one in bits on the table and ironing board. They're going to have to wait till the weather breaks a bit.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 15:22:06 PM »
I get hot just flicking through my dressmaking magazines at the moment.  Very little sewing going on in my loft in the current temperatures.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 15:42:24 PM »
Now I've got my new big fan-on-a-stand I thought I could cut out a new top, but then realised that it would blow the pattern away, so I won't bother moving from my armchair on front of the fan.  It's just far, far too hot to sew.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 16:31:28 PM »
@Francesca: I do have a standing fan, but it's heavy and awkward to carry downstairs where I have set up my sewing machine on the dining room table. 

I have sewn up the other side and although I planned on trying an invisible zip, will put in a ordinary one BY HAND.  Because of my miscalculation, the waist is enormous and I have to work out how to make it small enough to fit my waist.  I think I will just improvise pleats. -<

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 16:37:37 PM »
I have too many tissue pattern pieces and bits of ribbon lying around to risk a fan in my sewing room!

I just tried to channel some mojo by sticking two patterns together, now I'm printing some more of the ones I succumbed to most recently.  Oh dear, I must get sewing!
C'est moi!

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 16:40:09 PM »
I suppose elastication is out of the question?

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 16:41:41 PM »
I must get sewing too.  I live for New York on 16 August and have three skirts to make for the trip.  I thought I had a zip that would do, but no, of course not.  My fabric stall lady only had very long ones and sewing shop staff are so slow and not very helpful.  I was also boiling by then and in a bad mood having earlier spent 45 minutes in the back.

@Fiona M: absolutely.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 20:19:15 PM »
The zip will go on one side and I am just going to make a large centre fold in the front and back. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 20:20:43 PM »
My fabric stall lady only had very long ones

@Fiona M: absolutely.

I only buy really long ones these days and chop them to size.  Less fuss!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 20:24:21 PM »
The fabric stall lady doesn't do Wednesdays, so I a going to bite the bullet and go into the shop.

sdBev

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 01:59:46 AM »
There is a time for sewing and a time for sitting in the easy chair in front of the A/C.  Think now is the time for the later.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »
@sdBev: all done now.  If you are interested, you can see my holiday skirts here.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 21:01:10 PM »

Excuse the 'slack Alice' bra strap in one of the photos.

I am glad that I took my wrap tops because the off the shoulder top drove me mad and I only wore one.  Charity shop here I come