The Sewing Place

Ottobre 5/2018

SkoutSews

Ottobre 5/2018
« on: August 07, 2018, 14:26:27 PM »
The postman brought a happy surprise this lunchtime, the Ottobre Woman Autumn pattern magazine is here.  You can see it here

There are several things that appeal. I like the viscose dress pattern no. 9 'dragonfly' and think it would work in needlecord for the cooler weather.  I also like the 'rabbit' dress, no. 12, but it might look a bit tent-like on me.  There are a couple of very wearable knit dresses, no. 8 'lozenge' and no. 11 'clay elegance' and four useful trouser patterns too.  The mandarin collar blouse, no. 3, is a good one, too.

I like Ottobre, despite the tracing off, as the patterns are a good fit for me and their designs are simple and clean-cut.

dolcevita

Re: Ottobre 5/2018
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 15:28:37 PM »
Flicking through mine this afternoon.  Lots of lovely, wearable stuff in there and plans for much of it.  Current list:

1. Duotone long sleeve t-shirt - I like the boat neck, probably at least 3 of these.
2. Ordinary Wednesday chinos - nice casual trousers, make a change from jeans.  At least 2 pairs.
3. Hazelnut - I have some silk satin that's been marinating in the stash for a few years.  Its time has come.
4. Autumn warmer - wrap cardigan.  Too hot to think about right now, but 2 of this.
5. Golden amber - definitely 1, maybe more.
10. Cool elegance coat - I have some pale grey boiled wool perfect for this.
11. Clay grey dress - I also have some dark grey ponte.
19. Chimney collar coat - love, love, love this.  It's a bit minoru jacket, a bit swing jacket.  Either way, I've got to have one.

I'd best get to it whilst the weather is cooler!

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 16:15:05 PM »
@dolcevita, my, that's a lot of work! You're going to be very busy in the sewing room. I like the coats too, particularly the chimney collar style. Seems like you have fabric lined up, so you're ahead of the game.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 16:53:20 PM »
@Francesca, add a pair of the casual trousers and the long-sleeved t-shirt, you have your capsule wardrobe right there!

Missie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 17:14:19 PM »
I was just joking to my friend how I wanted a "loungewear capsule wardrobe". I tend to get in from work and change right away into PJs so I was thinking some items that look a bit nicer but are comfortable. That hoodie on the front cover would be perfect!

I agree and was thinking the same, for me, not you!

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 17:35:03 PM »
Ottobre patterns can look a bit boring at first glance, but they are just so wearable. Unless they've been out in the Finnish woods eating too much halucinogenic lychen (or is that the reindeer?) and put weird stuff in.

This most recent issue is a winner for me.  The dresses are lovely, too.  WHSmiths and, I think, the larger Sainsburys stock the magazine now, so you can easily pick up the single issue.  Not cheap at £10.00 but worth it if you make a few things from it.  The size range is good, too, with 35 - 52 for all designs.

crafter

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 21:59:52 PM »
Is it possible to see the patterns online before you buy?  I counldn't find a link to any.

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 22:15:14 PM »
Here are the designs.  If you go to the page that Skout Sews linked to, click on the left hand magazine, it will take you into the contents of the magazine.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

sdBev

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »
I like #8. Am thinking this is my 2018 Anniversary dress :toast:. But it will be cold in December.  Wondering if I should add length or buy warm tights.

Agree with the post re Otto looks a bit boring and plain but are Oh So Wearable. I make an Otto and wear it until it is in shreds. Well worth my time and effort.

Nattywoo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 20:33:37 PM »
Has anyone tried to make dress 8 'Lozenge'? I am tracing the pattern, and am puzzled by the skirt (pattern piece 4). Do the size lines get inverted between the top and the bottom, or am I reading the pattern wrongly?
I am definitely making a toile for that one.

misschris

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »
@Nattywoo 
From Ottobre Design Facebook page
A lovely customer find and informed us about a tiny mistake on OTTOBRE woman® 5/2018, pattern sheet B, design # 8 printed in pink. 
On pattern piece 4, the size numbers in hem line are upside down. See in the photo how they should be (light pink area).

Pattern itself is perfect and tested, just the size markings were mixed. We are so sorry about this and promise to be more careful next time.

There's an image which I'm having trouble grabbing on mobile, which shows the correct numbering - smallest size on the outer line, largest size on the innermost line.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »
I've never found this in shops in my area, so I ordered it online and it got posted to me.
I am not sure what I'm going to start with but I like lots of the patterns.

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »
I like the designs too, and am always tempted to buy.  I have a couple of their magazines and attempted to trace off the patterns, managed it finally but it nearly drove me to distraction.   I liked the end results but am not sure whether it was worth the agony of trying to see which line went with which pattern.   I have traced Burda and all other of my patterns for years and year so am not new to the process but I can honestly say it would have to be a very special event for me to attempt another Ottobre pattern.

Boppingbeth

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 20:39:50 PM »
@Nevis5

I've found highlighting the lines of the size I want makes it easier to trace the patterns.  It might be worth a try?

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 20:58:18 PM »
Thanks, @Boppingbeth  , think I might have tried that but I still went cross eyed doing it.  I do find that if I don't trace any Burda patterns for a while, when I get round to doing it again it takes a while to get my eye in so it may be a case of practice makes perfect.   Maybe I'll dig out one of my copies and have another go.