The Sewing Place

Singer Touch & Sew 720G

So Chic

Singer Touch & Sew 720G
« on: August 04, 2018, 17:19:26 PM »
I inherited the above machine which was made in Germany in, I think, the late 1960s from my MIL and I have been trying to find out how old it is but there doesn't appear to be a serial number anywhere on it.  Can anyone tell me where I might find this information?

It's in a dreadful state as it has been in our loft for about ten years and I don't whether to have it renovated and throw it out.

So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Efemera

Re: Singer Touch & Sew 720G
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 17:25:49 PM »
ThT was the first new machine I ever bought..I think it was around 1974

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 18:53:21 PM »
Don't throw it out! Give it a clean and see how it performs.  I have the earlier 611g and I love it!  She makes beautiful buttonholes with the buttonholes attachment, and also a very pretty chain stitch.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 19:46:10 PM »
Definitely hang on to it and give it a bit of TLC when you get the time. Singer stopped putting serial numbers on their machines in or around the 1960s, so that's in order. ismacs has some information about the machine and I'm sure Mr. Google will tell you more!

arrow

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 22:52:48 PM »
How are you doing?

There might be a serial number under the base, along the edge some where. Some serial numbers were put on a plate or sticker with the Voltage/Ampere/Watt info under the hand wheel. It's not the worst of models, considering it takes double layer flexi cams. If you want stitch patterns with stretch or similar there are almost no all metal models at all. The Touch and Sew had some fancy bobbin functions, auto winding, and take these large transparent bobbins you can take appart.