The Sewing Place

Spare parts for old treadle machine

JulieR

Spare parts for old treadle machine
« on: August 07, 2018, 15:27:46 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a spare part for an old treadle machine?

It’s an a beautiful singer 66 from 1930 and is in perfect working order, I’ve even got the original instruction booklet and the box with spare feet and gadgets in it, but really annoyingly it’s missing the slide cover for the shuttle, the machine can be used but it would be nice to have it complete again, can anyone help?
Thanks

b15erk

Re: Spare parts for old treadle machine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 15:32:08 PM »
Hi there Julia, what a lovely machine to have.  Helen Howes may have one, go to her website, and if she hasn't got one, give her a ring.  She's lovely, and will help if she can.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

JulieR

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 15:37:07 PM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for that I will have a look

Julia

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 16:41:43 PM »
You can buy brand new bobbin slide cover, throat plate and feed dogs on ebay. Helen Howes will probably have used original parts of various vintage, which I often prefere. She has good 66 bobbins.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 16:49:27 PM »
I can only repeat who others have recommended....Helen Howes. She's a really lovely and knowledgeable woman to speak to on the phone too, you could have a look on ebay but with Helen she'll tell you exactly what your getting.

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 18:41:12 PM »
I found a replacement bobbin winder for mine on Ebay.

JulieR

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 15:32:33 PM »
Thank i will give helen howes a call, i need some new needles as well so hopefully she can help

arrow

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 16:08:27 PM »
I assume you have found the contact info. None of us bothered to post a link, but here is her contact info, just copy and pasted from her site.

Mobile 07914 676182 (not at midnight, please)
From outside the UK dial:- 0044 1508 548137
helen@raindropkites.co.uk

About a year ago there was an electrical 66K for sale here. It was in a nice table, close to cabinet No 40. The machine was very dirty, but loked like it was in good condition underneath the dust and grime. It was an early electrical model, late 20s mabye very early 30s. The wiring was gone, so it needed a bit of work to run again. I still regret not buying it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 17:44:15 PM by arrow »

JulieR

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 19:29:01 PM »
Yes i found her details thanks, mines a 1930 66k but a treadle version in lovely condition that i inherited from my gran, i’m looking forward to using it and just looking round for a project to start.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 20:35:47 PM »
If you are lucky the bobbin cover might turn in the far back of one of the side drawers, an old sewing basket or something like that. If it comes completely off it can be a bother to get on again, at least until you realise it slides on the same way it came off, from right to left.