The Sewing Place

Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?

Bodgeitandscarper

Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?
« on: August 07, 2018, 21:43:17 PM »
I hate putting binding on - I hate cutting it and the way it starts to curl in, I hate trying to decide what length to use and then having to do lots of pinning - and I still haven't practised with my binding attachment for the coverstitcher,   I have tried a sort of shell stitch over a very narrow hem that works ok, but looks a bit too fussy possibly.  So does anyone have any alternative quick and dirty edge treatments?  Not necessarily "correct" methods, but quick bodges?  Please?  :)

Acorn

Re: Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 21:58:25 PM »
I have made t-shirts with a narrow, folded over hem on the neck that is then stitched with a twin needle.  If the twin needle behaves it looks pretty good.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 22:24:14 PM »
That's interesting to hear, does the edge lie flat, and would it stretch out of shape?

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 22:27:14 PM »
If you stick it first with Wondertape it should be fine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 22:30:59 PM »
I think I need to have shares in wondertape, I use it for patch pockets all the time!

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 23:06:31 PM »
That's interesting to hear, does the edge lie flat, and would it stretch out of shape?

Mine have been fine with no stretching - not a very deep scoop on the neckline though.  Cotton jersey, with a bit of lycra, so not overly stretchy anyway.  I do have some wondertape, but I've never used it (yet).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 23:09:55 PM »
Alternatively you could make a shelf bra facing - that'd leave you clean finish at neck and arm hole.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 23:12:33 PM »
I've overlocked mine first then turned them in and coverstitched with both rows on the double fabric. I've always got a nice flat finish and no stretching. I tack it first though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 23:18:24 PM »
I use a binding strip as a 'mini-facing', as you would with a woven armhole/neckline. Overlock on, fold over and coverstitch. It's most likely not the right thing to do, but it looks OK from the right side. I've never tried proper binding and I don't have the binding foot for the coverstitch machine. But I'm not a real sewist. In fact I envy your username, @Bodgeitandscarper!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
I have a coverstitch but no binder attachments. I pin under 1/2" raw edge, with the pins sticking out sideways so I can still remove them when I flip over and sew from the right side. This works well for armholes, sleeve and main hems, though I've not used it on a neckline. I hem flat before constructing the garment fully and hand tie off the ends to avoid ravelling of the coverhem stitching. It changes the construction order slightly, but seems to get a better finish.

For neckline I cut self fabric neckband which I fold in half and stitch and overlock and then lightly press. Its not a binding though. I check the length of the band before attaching by laying the binding on the neckline and 'walking' round the stitching line with my fingers. Its almost always too long so I remove the excess, then quarter, pin and stitch. Remove the pins and then overlock. It works well for me.
You could use a band on other edges too if you wanted (and I find it works better than hemming on sweater knit type fabrics which have visible knit stitches and seem to ravel more.

jen

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
I do necklines etc like this - strip 4 times finished width folded double, short enough to slightly stretch round curvy bits. Fold in half, stitch on rs tog. Turn up so it forms a fake binding, all turning pressed and if needed snipped to inside. Top stitch with double needle round neckline to hold turnings down and finish the inside. I don’t have a cover stitch.
A shaped facing is a possibility instead of binding, if the business of stretching binding round a curve is the problem. In jersey I’d top stitch with a double needle to hold it in place and trim it right back. That would give a neat neckline finish with minimal danger of stretching.

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
Do try the binding attachment.....it does take practice but when you get the hang of it it’s so quick and really will revolutionise making Tshirts and tops I use the chain stitch function to stitch it on as I like the look of one row of stitching....

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
Alternatively you could make a shelf bra facing - that'd leave you clean finish at neck and arm hole.
That's an interesting thought - almost like a lining...

Thanks for all your ideas, and as @Efemera says, I really really ought to try my binding attachment...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
I've always tried to measure to make sure the binding is a bit shorter then the edge, but you're right, I probably don't need to, just stretching it slightly as I pin it on should be fine, shouldn't it?

Morgan

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
I hate putting binding on - I hate cutting it and the way it starts to curl in, I hate trying to decide what length to use and then having to do lots of pinning - and I still haven't practised with my binding attachment for the coverstitcher,   I have tried a sort of shell stitch over a very narrow hem that works ok, but looks a bit too fussy possibly.  So does anyone have any alternative quick and dirty edge treatments?  Not necessarily "correct" methods, but quick bodges?  Please?  :)
Aaah, I see binding is a quick and dirty edge treatment for knits.  It's even quicker and easier with coverstitching

There are several different methods but just one quick (and dirty) ways is
- cut away seam allowance on edge to be finished
- right sides together overlock binding strip to edge (or sew approx 0.5cm - 1cm in from the edge)
- wrap binding strip around the SA to the inside
- coverstitch along edge, which secures the binding on the under side
- trim excess binding away next to serpentine side of the cover stitching on the underside

there are two or three other methods that are quicker and simpler than setting up, adjusting and working with a binder attachment.

Binder attachments can be useful but they're better for batch sewing jobs rather than one-offs because of the time, effort and materials used in setting up, test stitching and getting your eye in to get a nice finish.