The Sewing Place

Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
@Morgan that's exactly my method for binding, you could guess really that I'd have found the quickest way couldn't you?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 11:23:48 AM »
Ok, another question dear helpful peeps - how do you cut your binding strips for jersey in particular?  Across or on the bias?  And how do you stop the little blighters from curling up, or is that because I cut them across, 'cos I is tight with fabric?

Efemera

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
I've always tried to measure to make sure the binding is a bit shorter then the edge, but you're right, I probably don't need to, just stretching it slightly as I pin it on should be fine, shouldn't it?
I never measure my bindings..when not using the binder  I cut it with a rotary cutter and a patchwork ruler so I know it’s straight, always cut it with the stretch never bias ..then I walk it  around the neck edge, stretching slightly around the curved parts. Cut it with a seam allowance, stitch it then do the usual, divide the neck into 4 and the band into 4 pin and then overlock it together.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:32:56 AM by Efemera »

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
I usually do a normal t-shirt neck finish - join the short ends, fold the strip in half lengthwise and sew the raw edges to the raw edge of the neck (so 3 raw edges together), then top stitch close to the neckband, usually with a twin needle.  That gives a finish that's like most of the t-shirts I buy, and is far easier than I ever expected it to be.  I do something similar but with a wider band to finish the sleeve edges of grown-on sleeves. 

Both of those methods were done on this t-shirt, but they don't show up terribly well in the photo. 

Strips are never on the bias, and usually 80% of the elngth of the neckline.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
That does look very neat, Acorn.  However, I'm not a fan of a band rather than a binding, as I like to do a fairly narrow binding.

@Efemera, do you measure if you use a binding attachment?  And does it kind of stretch the binding strip for you as it goes through?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
I don't seem to have an issue with them curling up on the cross grain at least not enough to cause a problem while sewing. When you pin doesn't that just sort it out?
I'm probably not pinning enough!  And some cheap thin jerseys seem more prone to curling than others.

Efemera

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
No I don’t measure it gets it’s tension by threading through the rakes..the binders work much better when the binding is on a holder.. something like this, it isn’t mine but I rigged up something similar, no need for fancy ones.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 13:20:02 PM »
Good tip with the binding holder, thanks @Efemera .  I think I need to try this afternoon...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 14:31:33 PM »
Well, a quick go with both single fold and double fold binders has me nearly throwing them out the window!  Maybe another day!

But it's the curling that's really a problem - how come all mine curl like mad, but no-one else seems to have a problem??  Pic of the fabric I'm just about to cut...

maliw

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 17:00:03 PM »
I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, guess what I've been doing this afternoon!!!!!!!!! I decided not to follow the pattern, well I've made it enough times so I decided to alter the neck edge. After a bit of fiddling and faffing I've got it done. It's not great but the fabric was only a rem from Abakhan and it's pefectly wearable - if you don't look closely.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Fiona M

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 17:58:27 PM »
I do necklines etc like this - strip 4 times finished width folded double, short enough to slightly stretch round curvy bits. Fold in half, stitch on rs tog. Turn up so it forms a fake binding, all turning pressed and if needed snipped to inside. Top stitch with double needle round neckline to hold turnings down and finish the inside.
I do this too, except I do have a cs and use that to finish it.

Efemera

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 18:17:10 PM »
Well, a quick go with both single fold and double fold binders has me nearly throwing them out the window!  Maybe another day!

But it's the curling that's really a problem - how come all mine curl like mad, but no-one else seems to have a problem??  Pic of the fabric I'm just about to cut...

It is a learning curve... I sometimes use spray starch and iron the binding... don’t try and bind something straight off..I always lead in with around 6 inches going through the binder before I insert the neckline

Vezelay

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 18:27:21 PM »
That does look very neat, Acorn.  However, I'm not a fan of a band rather than a binding, as I like to do a fairly narrow binding.

No reason you can't sew a narrow band - I like 3/8" but you could easily do 1/4". You just take a larger seam allowance. If the edges curl I just baste them together before overlocking the band to the neck.

My first jersey neck I turned under but ended up adding a band to stabilise it. I've tried other binding methods for practise and they all work fine - I just find the band easier.

mammafairy

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 22:18:19 PM »
Or for very 'quick and dirty' accept the rolled curly edge.. There was a vogue for these a few years ago.

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I also use Acorn's method and sometimes do a very narrow band as Vezelay says. It's very easy and gives a nice finish.