The Sewing Place

Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Alternative to binding neck and armhole edges on jersey tops?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
I'll give that try next time, thank you  :)

Efemera

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 19:14:59 PM »
Just making another cap sleeve TShirt ( Santa Fe with alterations) in slinky jersey.. bound neck and armholes.its not perfect but near enough

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 20:54:00 PM »
Ok, ok, I will master the dratted binder!!!  Do you use a single fold or double fold?  I've got both, but it's the double fold one that has a rake to guide the strip, so is that easier/better? 
I have to confess to trying them with randomly sized strips, so I'm sure if I cut the correct width it would help!

Efemera

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 21:06:11 PM »
That was done with a double fold, threaded through all the rakes and stitched with a chain stitch. have a single fold which is better with thicker fabrics and coverstitched. Cutting accurately is vital, I use a 24inch quilting ruler and a rotary cutter.

Efemera

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
This neck is serged on then coverstiched

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
Gosh, that is so neat!  How do you keep your coverstitching so straight?  My Babylock BLCS is so hard to go slowly with, it tends to take off at high speed!

Efemera

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
I don’t look at the needles.. just the red line on the foot.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
Yes, I tend to watch the lines on the foot, and very recently got a transparent foot, so that helps.  It's just the way it goes so fast!  I did read, when I first had it, that you can alter an electric component in the foot pedal, that helped a bit, but not enough really, still hard to get it to go slowly!

Vezelay

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 15:27:46 PM »
I really like that @Efemera so I'll try covertopstitching next time. I've always done both lines of twin needling below the band seam line - no reason, I was just guessing that's what you did - but straddling the seam would be neater on the other side, so maybe that's better. Food for thought there.

Efemera

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 18:08:44 PM »
Another 2 done today
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 18:11:55 PM by Efemera »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 18:25:26 PM »
Now that's just showing off  ;) 
I will try and get to grips with mine, I will!!!!!

Are they single fold or double fold?

Efemera

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 18:49:59 PM »
They’re all double... the blue spot just about caught the inside edge...it’s different every time you use it. Single fold is easier with the coverstitch rather than the chain stitch.

Sewbee

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 16:21:54 PM »
I hate putting binding on - I hate cutting it and the way it starts to curl in, I hate trying to decide what length to use and then having to do lots of pinning - and I still haven't practised with my binding attachment for the coverstitcher,   I have tried a sort of shell stitch over a very narrow hem that works ok, but looks a bit too fussy possibly.  So does anyone have any alternative quick and dirty edge treatments?  Not necessarily "correct" methods, but quick bodges?  Please?  :)

I am thinking of getting one of those bias tape maker gadgets. That way, you can make self bindings. Not sure what size to get, though. I am imperial-minded, not metric-minded.

Lachica

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
A Fran says. Accurate cutting is very important. For stretch fabric you want a single fold, easy to press a strip in half. I think using the folder gadget would be very difficult with stretch fabric. I recently bought a set of of the folding gadgets (from China, a set of 4 was around a fiver against £7 for one) The advantage is that they make all 3 folds at once and the result is consistent. Only works with thin fabric. Previously I used the method my Couture-trained aunty taught me: pins in the ironing board, pull the binding through whilst pressing. I always had trouble getting the side folds correct, though any thickness of fabric can be used and infinitely variable widths made.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.