The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

BrendaP

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 19:00:18 PM »
Linky ...

I might run  it by you @BrendaP later or tomorrow am to get your take on it if you dont mind.

@Iminei  I've just gone back three pages to find the original linky only to find you've added itto this post> :devil:  Whatever it is you do, or don't do, your posts are notoriously difficult to see sometimes!

Anyway what you are asking is, is there a way to make half blocks without making a whole one and cutting it into unequal halves and discarding the smaller piece.

You would have to go back to the original pattern which has 'place on fold' printed on it.
Make two copies of that.
Tape them together so that they touch each other on one "fold" line.
Tape another piece of paper underneath so that you can add a seam allowance to the other "fold" lines.

That should extend all the pieces that need the extra  so that  any border/binding can be sewn on.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2018, 20:33:44 PM »
Seeing as I can't progress on flower girl dress due to lack of thread, I've started pattern prep for my SewRed top which will be part of my SWAKOP too :)

It's loose fit so I won't make a toile. I don't expect this will be an easy sew. It's all on the bias and the fabric is a difficult slinky poly crepe.

Lachica

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2018, 22:20:32 PM »
I've started! I'd prepped this pattern before the competition was announced. It's a Prima one, should be easy, although this shirtdress doesn't have bust darts so it might pull a bit - since getting my BOB sized bras my boobs stick out further and they've been gathered up from my underarms. The red crepey type fabric with a jacquard design was given to me by a lovely lady at sewing club who insisted it's my colour. It's not a fabric I'd have chosen but it has a lovely drape and hopefully I'll like it once it's done. I traced the pattern and have marked my seam allowances at 8mm on shoulders, sleeves and collar, 15mm at sides in case it needs letting out a bit. I've always thought it's daft to sew at 15mm then trim. I will need a note of what's what & will need to set up the machine more accurately than usual though.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 00:01:47 AM »
My coatigan is nearly done, just one more evening of sewing and I can share.
So far I am really pleased with it.

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »
@BrendaP and anyone else that could be remotely interested.

The pattern you see on top of the folded (in quarters) 15" + square of fabric is just used to cut the 64 pieces for each block, you literally slice through the paper and fabric ... it bears no relation to the final layout of the block.

AGS's take on the elongated block completely baffles me ... She suggests cutting the top and bottom large trapezoid 1/2" wider than the normal 1 1/2" width (of all the trapezoids).

This makes no sense to me whatsoever (But who the hell am I to question a renowned quilter and author of P&Q books???)

This is MY thinking .... Im doing a 5 x 5 layout.

1st row RED centre square,
2nd row WHITE centre square,
3rd row RED centre square, 
4th row WHITE centre square
5th row RED centre square

I want to emphasise the white in this so ...

1st row half block top and bottom
2nd row 5 full blocks
3rd row half block top and bottom
4th row 5 full blocks
5th row half block top and bottom

AGS posted this pic on Craftsy for me and another girl who have flipped the layout to make it easier for us to work out the number of blocks (her pic had 49 blocks so I have cropped this to my size)

And you can see that the half blocks are chopped through the MIDDLE of the complete block not the top or bottom...

So WHY do you need to elongate the top and bottom trapezoid??? You are just going to sew those as per normal with a 1/4" seam to the last full block??? Arent you???

My thinking is you have to sacrifice a near half block in order to get a proper half block. I imagine someone clever could build half a block, but that someone is not me and they are quite easy and almost relaxing to make and Im sure I could do something with the excess bits sooooo ....

Linky in case of invisibubble pics

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 17:40:37 PM »
@Iminei   Does this explain it?
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

At the top left you see a full block - green dashed lines to show the block with its seam allowances.  Also solid yellow lines for each quarter of the pattern. 

At bottom left you see a half block.  Blue dashed lines to show seam allowances all around.  Also yellow solid lines to show where the quarter pattern pieces fit.

It's the bit of solid grey which you have to add to give the seam allowance.

Add on to the quarter pattern the additional quarter inch in the places where it's needed.  That will make the trapezoids longer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 23:55:29 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

fajita

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2018, 18:37:56 PM »
Oh that was very clear, @BrendaP

I hadn't really figured out what the problem was, but your reply made the question make sense, and answer it. Clever B.

Iminei

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2018, 20:24:11 PM »
aaaaaand I am still completely baffled!

Sorry, I told you I was a dunce!

wrenkins

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2018, 20:33:10 PM »
Imagine if you were just cutting an ordinary square in two. If you wanted to sew it back together again you wouldn't have any seam allowance (in the middle) so the result would not be a square.

In order to end up with a square you'd have to add in 1/2" for seam allowance. It's exactly the same thing except that you're cutting through all your little shapes. You need to make those shapes half an inch longer for seam allowances when you sew them into your pattern.  :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 20:34:42 PM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 00:05:10 AM »
Let's try another way of looking at it.

Print or trace four copies of your pattern onto paper.
Stick them together so that the 'place on fold' edges are touching each other.
Trim off any excess paper outside of that block.
You now have a full block including the seam allowances around the outsides.

Draw a line through the middle of the block.
You now have two half blocks.
As Wrenkins says, if you were to cut through that line there will be no seam allowance, so draw another line a quarter of an inch (or whatever you want for the seam allowance) below that line.
Cut the paper on that second line.
You now have a pattern to use for the half blocks; place it on a single layer of fabric and cut it out.

Iminei

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »
Oh thank you girls for all your help,
you are so kind, but I found it easier to make six new blocks so can just cut them as I wish.

I did make a block a couple of days ago with the centre square 2 1/2" x 3" but it just resulted in an 11" Block somehow so no good!

So Ive got a nice stack of blocks all squared up (or down) to 10 1/2"ish just waiting for me to put them together.
When I saw this pattern 5 years ago I decided it was a step too far for me and now here I am, and its been really easy (so far) sort of relaxing too as you dont need to think .. well up to now you dont ... about it.

If its invisibub heres the linky

BrendaP

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
I'm sure you will find a creative way to use the not quite half blocks - and then use them in the backing.

BrendaP

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
I have finished the red wearable quilt, but can't include it in this as I sewed it last month, but I've made a last minute decision that I want some red jeans for my hols (only 6 days away) and I have a length of red ponte lurking in the stash, so here goes!

The pattern is Deer & Doe 'Saffran' which I have made before in a rather less stretchy denim.  That fits snugly so I'm happy that this will fit without any tweeking. I just need to find a bit of something for the pocket lining.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

BrendaP

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 22:41:33 PM »
Jeans finished and a donation made to the Sew Red appeal in memory of Vege.

The jeans are OK, but the finish with ponte is nowhere near as good as it was when I made the same pattern using proper denim - the slightest bit of wonkiness in the seams shows and the belt loops did NOT want to co-operate.  However the ponte has a lot more stretch than stretch denim and so they are comfortable to wear, and anyway I usually wear longer tops over trousers, so next time I think about ponte for trousers it will be plain pull on elasticated waist jobbies.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fiona M

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »
You lot are unbelievable!  Where do you find the time?  I'm only making pinnies, and I've got as far as pulling the fabric out of stash and considering various designs ...