The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

Iminei

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
Well done Brenda and Im loving that quilt behind you!

As for me I finished the main body of the quilt yesterday and am now pondering borders.

I want the white to shine so Im thinking a red border than a white, then red ... Tho I dont want to it be too big as I still need to quilt it.

I have some of this fabric available (Rudy Black, the red, white and black)... which Im thinking of for the backing maybe I could insert a thin strip of it as a border on the front? Or one of the other two ?

linky
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:42:44 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
If the middle of those three is the same as used for the little red squares in the main quilt I think you definitely should be using it in the borders.

The main part of the quilt has two red sides and two white sides.  How about making the borders red-white-red along the white sides and white-red-white along the red sides.  Either mitre the corners or use square corner stones.  The black could be used for them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Well done Brenda, that was quick! They look a really good fit, from what I can see.

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
Yes @BrendaP The red in the middle of the Pineapples is the red in the middle of these 3 fabrics ...

its the remains of the extra wide backing fabic that I used on the B&W jobby ... Im veering toward the Red/Black for the binding tho to give it a strong frame but Ive only got 10" ...(really dont want to buy any more fabric) and I think Im going to need more than 4 WOF for the binding. At the moment it should be 50" sq.

BrendaP

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Five minutes ago I could see the pieced top, now I can't!  What do you do to make your photos magically disappear?

If I was trying to eke out 10" of fabric for a border I'd cut 2" strips instead of 2.5" strips, but then I usually hand stitch the back of the binding, you do need the extra half inch if you want to machine it down.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
I have no idea!!!!  :S

Reattached the image (I hope) but here is the linky to the album

Acorn

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
I'd go for the red and black for the binding, I think.  I've a feeling the red/white/black might just be a bit too weak, so that it would look as though the bits of black had just wandered in.

Can you get any more of it?  (Trying not to think about a certain green spotty fabric...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
   0_0  hahahahaahaha ... yes I saw it at the Ever Decreasing Emporia last Friday.

So Red/white/black for the backing
Dark red/black for binding
Red used in centre of blocks and white for borders.

Thank you Peeps! x

Acorn

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 10:06:44 AM »
Sounds lovely.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
Well that was an eye opener!

After the last few posts I thought no time like the present so beetled off to the EDE;

After 10 minutes of wandering around in circles scouring the depleted shelves I began to get an ominous feeling, Surely they hadn't sacrificed the bolt to FQland ??? My heart sank into my stomach, gave a final lurch and stopped beating ... 

Skip forward 5 slow motion minutes and on my 5th go round I spotted the bolt, hiding amongst some purples (FFS??!!) and my heart started beating again ... 2 minutes later I was out the door and on my way home with a metre of the required design ... oh and a metre of some contrasting blue and green for a project I have in mind!  ;)

Ploshkin

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
You live on the edge don't you Iminei.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 20:09:16 PM »
For those not venturing over to the Dark Side, here is my ‘sew red’ inspired Autumn Hare cushion, which was also part of the Dark Side’s appliqué challenge. A good use of some tweed and tartan scraps that I’ve had lying around and it cheers up my sofa a bit as the nights draw in!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 22:57:33 PM »
Here is my entry - I have also made a donation as suggested.

Lined coatigan from Wendy Ward's Kinder cardigan pattern

More details of pattern and modifications on the blog.
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2018/09/kinder-coatigan.html

Iminei

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:12 AM »
Lovely cushion Sheilago, really beautiful but OMG, you're all leaping ahead of me ... (get the pun)
Better get back to it I guess .. I had a day off while I dallied with Octobers BOM.

Bowerbird

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Hurrrah, I have my red shirt cut out, and the interfacing fused & ready to go.

I could have had it done sooner (ha ha, i am so funny) but I made a grey version first for a funeral on Friday. We're having that spring/autumn weather that can be anything, and it looks like warmer rather than cooler.