The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

Bogwoppit

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
I'm joining in too!
Got red crinkly chiffon stuff to make in to a top.  I've made it before in lawn and this is my first try sewing really lightweight stuff.
Changed it to a single piece for the back as I can easily get it over my head, remembered to change the facing too and they match.

Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Iminei

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
May I have your input please ...

Please hop over to my picasa and give me your opinion about the border and binding choices ... pics at the end of the album.

None of them might be completely right but Im trying to keep the width of the border down as the top measures 52" sq at the moment ..

The red strip will measure 1" (F) and white strip will measure 2" (F) so thats an extra 6" on the top  :S
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:57:10 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
To be honest, I'm not that keen on any of them. I think it only needs 2 strips and not 3. Having 3 detracts from the body of the quilt to me.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »
The dark red/black and the lighter red/white are for the binding Ladies ...

Border currently consists of a 2"(f) white strip with a 1"(f) red strip
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 13:00:35 PM by Iminei »

Fiona M

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2018, 13:27:33 PM »
Ok, so I figure I’d better get a move on.
The fabric is in the washer and the pattern is out on my sewing table. ;)

Fiona M

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2018, 16:15:04 PM »
@Francesca No, not poly, it won’t shrink!
Cotton for pinnies though, needs preshrinking, and a bit of the red dye needs to be lost - don’t want anyone grumbling cos my pinny turned their whites pink!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2018, 16:49:26 PM »
I should really have been completing my coursework but.....
Nearly late for school pick up wearing my new top.
I'll do a donation tomorrow, money sorting day. [Editted to add that I've now done this]
Top is simple with a self tie attached in the side seams. Pattern has a pleat at the neck but I thought gathers would be better for this. Pattern is Rosalind top from August's Sew magazine.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:45:46 AM by Bogwoppit »
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Iminei

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2018, 19:55:00 PM »

if you cant see it use the linky below....
and never let me do an enclosed border again ... they are a right PITA

Sheilago

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2018, 23:53:32 PM »
It looks wonderful @Iminei . How do you make these complicated quilts so quickly?!

Iminei

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
Thank you Sheilago ... praise indeed coming from you!

Not so complicated really ... the hardest part was joining the blocks accurately enough!

Anita Grossman Solomans Traditional Blocks made Simple was the first class I bought from Craftsy and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in the Darkside as she uses incredibly easy techniques ...

The Opus ...

was her arrowhead block which if you have been following the BOM is the simplest block to make ....

The Pineapple, I deemed too difficult for me 5 years ago, but I've got a bit better so decided to give it a go and Im very glad I did! The beauty is the pattern which in just a few cuts gives you the 32 pieces you need to make each block ... its just building the block from then on.

Samantha

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
I'm making slow progress on mine as I have to keep re-cutting bits because I'm not great at cutting straight at the best of times so with silk it's a blumming nightmare  :S :S :S :S

Lachica

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
@Iminei that's lovely, you work quickly! @Bogwoppit lovely top, fits you well & I like the colour. Mine is still cut out, on the back of my sewing chair
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2018, 13:27:54 PM »
Not so quickly Lachica, I'm stalled at the moment as the next bit is the layering ...

I know it will fit on the (extended) dining room table lengthwise and then half widthwise but I dont relish this bit as I know it will try to escape over the edges  ><

So today I have procrastinated the day away .. I have even prepared dinners for the days ahead ffs ... tomato soup and kashmiri kebabs ...YUM! maybe I will do Octobers BOM and get back to this tomorrow first thing but you lot do keep distracting me !!

Oh and fb and I've found an online jigsaw puzzle!!!! I kid you not ...
the laptop makes a very satisfying click when the pieces fit together too!!

Fiona M

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2018, 16:58:01 PM »
Pre-washed pinny fabrics have now been pressed.
Next step, cutting out.
I can’t be rushed, me.

Bowerbird

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Finished. Can't see me getting a long life from it, the raw edges shredded every time I touched it.
Re-washed it to put the crinkles back in and a whole lot of dye came out, so it may end up being a pink shirt.

I think the fabric is a linen mix (it has that scratchy feel some linen has) and I've had it for a goodly number of years. There may be enough left for a dress too, but I'm still thinking on that.

The pattern is the Style Arc Melody tunic top, in size 14. My measurements are closer to a 16 but I think that would have been too big.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:52:52 AM by Bowerbird »