The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

Francesca

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« on: August 08, 2018, 19:39:19 PM »

The Eve Appeal, the gynaecological cancer research charity, are running a campaign called GO RED in September encouraging awareness and fundraising for this vital research into the 5 gynaecological cancers – womb, ovarian, cervical, vulval and vaginal.

In order to join in, and in memory of our beloved Vegegrow we have decided to put on a special sewalong, SEW RED for September!

This is going to be a pretty simple sewalong... sew something red and share it with us and all your friends. We encourage all entrants to donate whatever sum they can, plus share their makes with their friends and family to encourage more donations.

The donation link is here: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/TheSewingPlace

Read more about GO RED here: https://eveappeal.org.uk/supporting-us/take-part-in-an-event/go-red/

Rules

1. You shall make a minimum of one sewn item in a red fabric or majority red design.
2. If you want to make more than one entry, feel free to do so, but submit them in separate posts
3. Any type of sewn object is fine. Garments, quilts, bags, toys, embroidery on existing objects, deco items...
4. Sewing starts on 1st September, you can prepare and cut beforehand but please don't stitch
5. Please post pictures by 30th September midnight

Edit: The rules above are a little more loose than normal sewalongs as this is a charity sew. So if you don't quite hit the mark on one of the rules just let us know.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 16:25:28 PM by Francesca »

Pearl

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
I'm in.

I have red fabric from FoQ and I found a pattern I liked.  It costs $30.50 (about £27) - not ideal but...  Then I checked the shipping and found that was even more.  :o  Maybe not. 

Fiona M

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
I’ve got some beautiful quality red & white gingham, I bought from Croft Mill years ago.  Not sure why I bought it, as red’s not a colour I can wear really (looks ridiculous with my fat, tomato red face!).  Would like to make a flouncy skirt, but might be a bit too much ‘cowgirl’?

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm in.
I have some thin poly jersey in red and navy swirly paisley; I can make a day to night top for for going out to dinner in.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
I'll make a red pincushion... :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 13:45:53 PM »
Remember Ladies,

after the make please show your pics and donate a small amount to The Eve Appeal!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 19:34:46 PM »
I’ve just bought a batch of red fat quarters, so might make something small: maybe a quilted tea cosy or some oven gloves. :drink:

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
I started a shirt dress in some red liberty silk ages ago, it's definitely not sewn, I'm not even sure if I got further than pinning the pattern pieces on to the fabric! Would I be allowed to enter that?

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
@Samantha it's for charity so we're a little more lax  ;) A few stitches here and there is fine. Better if it's only pinned though. The rules are more guidelines on this particular sewalong.

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
Thanks Fran in which case I'm in! I'll dig it out and take photos later. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 22:46:35 PM »
Hmmmm, something RED.
 :shirt: <3 :flower: :frock:
I will have a look in the fabric cupboard of great loveliness and have a big think.

Jobunnie

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:10:04 AM »
Can we  double this up with the Sept BOM challenge for something with appliqué?

Absolutely!
Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:18:20 AM by Iminei »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 19:05:32 PM »
would red/black or red/blue tartan be ok. Red is the dominant colour in both pieces I have.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Fiona M

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
I’ve got some beautiful quality red & white gingham, I bought from Croft Mill years ago.  Not sure why I bought it, as red’s not a colour I can wear really (looks ridiculous with my fat, tomato red face!).  Would like to make a flouncy skirt, but might be a bit too much ‘cowgirl’?
Having looked at this fabric again, and after going to the trouble of downloading and printing a free pdf skirt pattern (DIBY Club Duchess Skirt), I've decided I might just sew some aprons from it instead.  The likelihood of me actually wearing a skirt made from red & white gingham is sufficiently remote to make me reconsider.
If the aprons turn out well enough, and there's no reason why they shouldn't,  I will sell them locally to raise more funds for the Eve appeal.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 23:07:53 PM »
I have some ?viscose? which I was given at sewing club. I tried to leave it there but was persuaded it's 'my colour'. It's an orangey red and I'd usually go for a purply red andit has a 'tablecloth' design woven in...not something I'd usually choose for myself. It has a beautiful drape and doesn't crease. Anyway, I've traced off a Prima shirtdress pattern today and will make it & donate for Vege. I may also donate the finished dress....we'll see.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.