The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

blubli

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 21:34:49 PM »
Probably a stupid question but... does it have to be proper red or would dark red or wine be ok?

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 22:27:21 PM »
Probably a stupid question but... does it have to be proper red or would dark red or wine be ok?

Any red as long as it can comfortably be described as red! And red wine red... well that sounds pretty red.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
How do we join up Fran, Is there an official start/end date ... What are the rules?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

blubli

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 22:06:15 PM »
Any red as long as it can comfortably be described as red! And red wine red... well that sounds pretty red.

In that case I think I'll make an autumn/winter skirt. I just couldn't see myself wearing bright red!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 18:53:39 PM »
So I have at last managed to get all my red fabrics together, just have to decide what to make. A few of the pieces are left over from other projects so may combine, thinking some of the red velvet and the tartans to make a Vivian Westwood style skirt.
Amended. oops just seen the closing date, going away on Tuesday for 3 weeks so may not have time to get anything done, dam.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 18:56:21 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bowerbird

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 03:01:10 AM »
How serendipitous this is. I currently have a length of red linen/cotton mix casually draped across the bed  chair  cutting table oops, it's back in the drawer. I had plans for a tunic top and a summer dress, so it may even happen now that there is a reason to get to it.

And now that I've said it out loud I shall have to do it.  :snip:  :vintage:  :shirt:  :toast:

@Lachica, I prefer purpley red too.

ETA there for their
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:02:51 AM by Bowerbird »

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 07:19:58 AM »
Have I said that Im in???

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
It is now September so I need to go and see what RED based fabrics I have available and what I want to sew.  :fabric:
I don't have any particular thoughts other than knit tops or maybe a jacket.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 07:29:59 AM »
Ok, 1st September and I'm off .....

Iminei's Sew Red for Vege

Wish me luck girls!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 19:19:04 PM »
Washed some Red fabric to make the Kinder cardigan from Wendy wards knit book.
It's a knit pattern but you can use wovens too for some styles.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
And Verily I have had a revelation ........

Handed down from Heavens in Gods hand .....

Tracing paper!!!
Kids Tracing paper from the Bargains shop at £1.25p a pack!

Let me explain...

For the Sew RED Quilt, Im having to print off a load of patterns, fix them to the folded squares of fabric and then cut loads of pieces to make up the block .. So far so good, accurately (mostly) cut pieces and a fairly happy bunny.

Next you have to paper piece the middle of the block, the square in square ... it starts the whole thing off very accurately and then you just build onto this super straight square with your trapezoids (get ,me , like I know what a trapezoid is ... Well I do now obvs)

The problem is laying your beautifully cut 2 1/2" square of fabric behind the printed foundation paper accurately to cover the printed square with a reasonable seam allowance all around. You have to hold the thing up to a light/window or lay it ontop of a light box, fiddle around to get it straightish, then place the next piece in its position, then turn the whole thing over, keeping these two bits of fabric where they are, take it to the sewing machine and hope nothings moved too far out of position before you start to sew over the printed line.

Now my first one was almost spot on,  but one was so bad I had to re-cut my pieces (no unpicking on a 1.5 stitch length!) so I can see this becoming a real problem.

AGS talked of using Vellum, so I hopped onto Google and ... Sharp intake of breath, almost £10  for 30 sheets!!!
but then a niggle began in my brain ... hadnt I bought a shed load of kiddies Tracing paper a couple of years back when I was tracing a load of patterns for something or  other????

Yes I had ... and ... I knew where they were. Upstairs I ran and down it came ...

First problem, would it print?
The First one was smeary and the printer didnt much like it going through ... BUT ... if you guide the TP as it goes into the printer completely straight, it prints out just beautifully!

Next problem, Would it smear?....
If I rubbed it very hard against white, yes theres a lil mark BUT the fabric is laid against the TP on the reverse side to the printing!

Visibility next ... judge for yourselves ...

Tearability .... just as good as the regular foundation stuff!!!

Oh Boys and Girls, this is a revelation on a Biblical Scale ... Im so happy !!!

BTW @rubywishes  ... Im sure you have kiddies tracing paper over there!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:20:05 AM by Iminei »

Bowerbird

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »
@Iminei  well done!

I, on the other hand, did my usual style of h.......k in my sewing room today. I swept the room with a glance.

I did see the red fabric as I passed on my way to get something else. Does that count?

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »

I, on the other hand, did my usual style of h.......k in my sewing room today. I swept the room with a glance.

Love it!!!  :D :D :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 21:11:02 PM »
@Iminei sadly, alas, my printer will not take the childrens' tracing paper  :'(. it is a big monster of a thing and I can't get behind it to feed in individual sheets so I have had to stick with standard paper in the pick up tray. Maybe next time I need to print out more I might see if Mr.Ruby can re-position it for me but for now I'm not stressing. I'm using a 1.5 stitch and the paper pulls away from my trial blocks very easily. I also read a tip where you can wet a cotton bud and run that along your stitch line to moisten the paper prior to removing it so that it is easier.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!