The Sewing Place

Sew Red for The Eve Appeal

Iminei

Re: Sew Red for The Eve Appeal
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
@rubywishes ... its the seethroughocity of the TP that is the key for me not the detachability after the event !

Tho' I have yet to actually detach some, I might try it in a minute as I tried to work something out yesterday ... which didnt work ... but I got a lovely (wrong sized) block out of it so can practice on that.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

blubli

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 21:25:00 PM »
I was sick all weekend and by the time I looked at the fabric I intended to use, the dark red colour reminded me of old school uniforms! I'll be ordering some brighter fabric tonight and will put something together this weekend. I'll be on holiday the weekend after, which I completely forgot about..... But at least I know what I want to make! :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2018, 22:41:08 PM »
I have started my cardigan jacket. However appear to have purchased some upholstery fabric. So quite tough!
Hopefully with look like a garment and not a standard when it is done.

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2018, 14:07:42 PM »
Well Ive got 10 done, 15 more are on their way.

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2018, 16:11:21 PM »
Tea cup pin cushion as promised...... and.....only 4th September @Iminei  :P  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Starryfish

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 18:30:31 PM »
Well done @Lowena , a lovely pincushion!

I have finished my red Day to Night top, and if the light is any good tomorrow, will take a picture.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

rubywishes

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »
@rubywishes ... its the seethroughocity of the TP that is the key for me not the detachability after the event !

Tho' I have yet to actually detach some, I might try it in a minute as I tried to work something out yesterday ... which didnt work ... but I got a lovely (wrong sized) block out of it so can practice on that.
@Iminei .....just a thought...why don't you trace your markings/seam allowance for each block onto the back of your paper so you know exactly where you have to place your fabric without peeking backwards and forwards to the front side or trying to hold it all up to the light? That's what the instructor had me doing.  Or have I misunderstood what you meant?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
Possibly because of smearing (of pencil/marker pen) but more probably because life is too short.

The TP came out easily, maybe not quite as easily as the FP would but easy enough and when it came it didnt leave lil teeny tiny bits caught in the stitching so thats a bonus.

Any how I have 15 blocks with a TP inner square and hopefully they will grow some more today.

Samantha

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
I finished cutting out my shirt dress yesterday. Need to get some matching thread and interfacing at lunchtime so I can start stitching.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 08:26:50 AM »
I finished the 15 blocks yesterday but stopped before  pressing and squaring them up? down? to 10 1/2" as I was tired after a full day of sewing (and listening to my SK book)

Today I will do that, then lay them out and figure out how to make the 6 half blocks I need ....

Lowena

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
I'm looking out for cups and saucers today whilst in St Ives. 3 people want me to make them the pincushions ( pic further up the page ) but for these I'll be making the actual cushion from patchwork. They're popular because if you miss the cushion the pins fall into the saucer ( which is superglued to cup )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
@Iminei  I don't seem to be able to see any of your pictures at the moment (though when others can't see them I can)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 16:44:32 PM »
Linky ...

Ive nearly made 6 more full blocks for the half blocks ( :S )

I simply couldnt workout a way to make them in 3 blocks and AGS's destructions for the half blocks make no sense at all and dont solve the problem, as I perceive it ... at least I dont think they do, and hope they dont otherwise I have gone very wrong..

I might run  it by you @BrendaP later or tomorrow am to get your take on it if you dont mind.

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 16:46:03 PM »
Q: When do we donate to the EVE appeal?

After the make? During? or Before?

Francesca

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 18:05:43 PM »
Q: When do we donate to the EVE appeal?

After the make? During? or Before?

Any time you like. I have set it up through Virgin Money so I can deposit the funds straight into the Eve Appeal.

My personal plan is to post about the campaign once I've finished my garment and provide a link then, but I'll probably sort my own donation before then.