The Sewing Place

I’m new and in search of a bridal pattern

Rebecca

I’m new and in search of a bridal pattern
« on: August 10, 2018, 13:45:00 PM »
Hi all,

I’m new.  I am hoping someone can help.  My mother has offered to make my bridal gown.  She has not sewn in a while and is dusting off her machine.  However I cannot find anything I like in the traditional patterns and I am finding the collection very limited.  Are digital patterns the way to go? Where would I find some modern choices of bridal dresses in a digital pattern? Can these be printed off professionally to give my mum some confidence?  Any help would be much appreciated

Samantha

Re: I’m new and in search of a bridal pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 14:39:23 PM »
Hello if you go down the digital route you definitely want to pay a copy shop to print it out as one piece rather than trying to stick it together!

You may be better off finding a dress/style you like and then looking for a pattern which is similar that can be adapted. Or maybe two patterns to make the dress you like ie the bodice from one and the skirt from another.

Have you also looked at evening dress patterns as a lot of them would make lovely wedding dresses? This website is good for searching for patterns (the big 4 and lots of indie ones) https://thefoldline.com/

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 14:47:20 PM »
Try eBay and look at the vintage ones.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 15:15:50 PM »
@Rebecca: have you see anything you like the look of because we are pretty good at coming up with patterns.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 15:49:01 PM »
Hello and welcome. Have you seen a dress that you like? If you see what you like then look for a pattern that resembles the dress and adapt the pattern to what you want.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 16:31:56 PM »
If you don't sew yourslef you may find that you're blinded by the details of particular styles, where those who sew will be looking beneath the trim to the basic shape.  Embellishment is all with a bridal dress, starting with a similar shape.

Bung us some pics of styles you like, and I bet we can help
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 19:42:02 PM »
Just saying hello, can't help with wedding dress patterns as I hate sewing faffy stuff like that, just wanted to make you feel welcome.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 00:06:30 AM »
Welcome from me too. Can't help with the dress either but the others have given you good advice. Hope the search is fruitful.  :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 23:54:00 PM »
Welcome @Rebecca  :toast:
Did you look at Marfy patterns? Not cheap, without instructiins, but oh so very beautiful  :)

http://www.marfy.it/sewing-patterns/bridal-sewing-patterns-2/

Morgan

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 13:19:14 PM »
Where would I find some modern choices of bridal dresses

To signpost you to the places to look, please post some links to images of the dress styles, shapes and modern looks that you want to consider.   

If you know the dress you want, we may even be able to point you to a particular pattern that will do the job.

Lyn-J

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 15:32:51 PM »
Hi @Rebecca
You might also like to look through the patterns on the Jaycotts Site

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 15:59:50 PM »
I don't think the OP's been back in over  a week lol
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 20:47:22 PM »
Holidays @DementedFairy. ;)

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 20:59:25 PM »
Holidays @DementedFairy. ;)
speaking of which, shouldn't you be in the Land of Trump?
C'est moi!

Rebecca

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 16:46:08 PM »
Hi guys - thank you all for your help.  You have all been so helpful and welcoming.  I have just worked out how to reply to all as I had been sending private mail! :S

I am unsure how to upload an image at this stage.  I am in love with the skirt of this dress

http://www.allurebridals.com/assets/1550/9369f.jpg

The back of this  one

http://www.allurebridals.com/assets/1550/9022b.jpg

And then just a simple v neck front .

Thanks again everyone!