The Sewing Place

Moto 1 and Moto 2

Gernella

Moto 1 and Moto 2
« on: August 10, 2018, 16:52:29 PM »
The first one finished was the McCalls, which was originally going to be in pink similar to the picture, then I chickened out.  Apart from getting the wrong zip size and thinking it didn't matter, this was relatively easy to make and looks like the picture.  What I didn't like was the dipping hem at the back, it's okay but I would rather it had been straight.

The big mistake on that was the snaps.  Never done them before, spent time watching videos until I was confident.  Bought the snaps, did them although they needed some hammering.  The penny dropped when I got to the last backing one on my left, I had got the heavy duty ones for handbags etc, so even with extra reinforcement I was struggling for grip.  Fortunately they are not going to be coming open once snapped on.

https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/McCalls-7694.html

The second was the Waffle Kaneel.  I did it for a start to see how the pattern went together as I intended to do the Tosti next. It's the first time I've done this type of pattern and I must admit it kept me busy and interested in fact normally every raw edge I normally put through an overlocker.  I never even went near the overlocker, forgot about it.  It fits but only just and I did a larger size than I normally do.  Fortunately I never intended to us the snaps on the collar as the jacket would be worn open all the time.  Not on the collar on the picture as I wasn't happy with the collar piece and unpicked and redid before I put the snaps on (right ones and a piece of cake).

It's an exposed zip on the top and I went with zips at the bottom. You can barely see the bottom ones and I think the next time I'd go for doing them so they can be seen but not fully exposed.  Otherwise everything worked fine. I'd also intended to put a leather zipper pull on the bottom zips and had bought some leather.  When I finally got round to cutting a narrow piece try out on the existing zipper pull, the white leather looked more a pasty white because of the  bright white of the drill fabric.  I then got some gold pulls but they didn't look right and also seemed a bit fragile for regular use so I've stuck with the YKK ones. 

Doing it again I'd also go for slightly wider sleeves in the middle.  Looking at the pattern there is very little difference in each size so after measuring an existing Landsend heavy duty winter jacket, I've cut out the largest size out for Tosti.

https://www.wafflepatterns.com/product-page/moto-jacket-kaneel

I'm pleased with both of them apart from the fact I wished I'd used a different colour for the McCalls jacket and for the next Kaneel I think I might go with a patterned fabric, assuming I can find one suitable.

Only problem I have now - too many jackets.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Moto 1 and Moto 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 17:20:08 PM »
They both look great   :)

Turquoise

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 17:37:35 PM »
Too many jackets? ....that’s a nice ‘problem’ to have  ;) - both your jackets look great  :)

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 17:55:26 PM »
You can never have too many jackets.  Just insufficient storage space. :)

Love the Kaneel - I've never come across them, must investigate.

jen

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 19:22:18 PM »
Good looking jackets!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 20:28:00 PM »
Looking forward to MotoGP.

You have to go for the set, the first two are great.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 23:18:04 PM »
Great work on both of them!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
Great jackets! Well done.  :toast:

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »
Lovely work.

My daughter's been trying on a lot of this style of jackets recently. she looks great in them, but I don't think I'd dare try to make her one. She's quite particular...(age 16)...and a funny size/shape.

Sandra.
xxx

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »

My daughter's been trying on a lot of this style of jackets recently. she looks great in them, but I don't think I'd dare try to make her one. She's quite particular...(age 16)...and a funny size/shape.

Sandra.
xxx

I was worried more because I'd read varying comments on the instructions on the Waffle pattern.  In the end I decided I could insert a zip, I could do a welt pocket so I should be fine, although in the end I didn't do the welt in the Kaneel.  The only thing I forgot was the seams, a big brand pattern will tell you to trim seams, I was that engrossed in following the instructions I forgot the obvious because that wasn't in.

The McCalls was very straight forward apart from the snaps which was a buyer error in getting the wrong ones.

At least now I feel a bit more confident about the Tosti jacket, although even on that I've already thought about what kind of fabric for the second one.  How nuts is that?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included