The Sewing Place

Desert Sky......and it begins.

rubywishes

Desert Sky......and it begins.
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Well I finally got around to opening the pattern my friend lent me  :o :S What the hell were all these bits of paper....hundreds of them! Now I know it was suggested to me that as I am a FPP virgin I should start off with something a bit simpler but meh, what the heck, in for a penny in for a pound I say. Besides which I have fallen deeply and truly in love with this pattern and these gorgeous batiks I have selected and I can truly visualise (without any alcohol consumption) a match made in heaven....sigh,  :loveit: :loveit:

But the thing is, I'm often a bit slow at catching on to new things so it has taken me about a week to figure it all out. I've watched countless you tubes, trawled through a gazillion posts on different quilting forums, posted a few numpty pleas for help and now suddenly, as of about 2 hours ago a bolt of understanding blossomed in my little brain. I've done a couple of "testers" and feel rather chuffed with them so now I'm off and slicing......well, first I have to find a million zip lock bags, and a texta to label the bags, some paper clips, a little stick of fabric glue, and a different fold template as I just sliced through the one I've been using. But after that I'll be off and slicing. Oh hang on, I'm babysitting grandchildren tomorrow and the day after that I'm catching up with an old work colleague for lunch and then on Wednesday I should really visit my parents and then Thursday and Friday I'm working. Okay....so next weekend I am definately off and slicing.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:42:02 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

Re: Desert Sky......and it begins.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
That's going to be gorgeous!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

crafter

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
That's nice.  What's FPP?

fajita

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
Can't wait to see it finished. Hurry up!

@crafter fpp- foundation paper piecing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
Foundation Paper Piecing.

It's one of the darker of the Dark Arts.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

supergran

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 20:31:06 PM »
That's going to be gorgeous RW. Love that pattern. I'm doing a New York Beauty at the moment, but I really fancy doing your pattern as well.   :loveit:

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
Those teasy taster blocks look very good ... if you can keep that up you'll be flying!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:22:55 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 20:58:47 PM »
Foundation Paper Piecing.

It's one of the darker of the Dark Arts.

ALL of the paper piecing methods are very Dark indeed. They make me shudder when confronted by them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
Haha, I put my "bravery pants" on and started to cut up my batiks...well, just 2 for starters, thought I would see how I go piecing blocks (4 per pair of fat 1/4s) ) from just 2 fat 1/4's so if I balls it up I've not stuffed up in a major way. After spending a stressful hour reading and re-reading the instructions and then taking rotary cutter to fabric and slicing the billy-oh out of it all I finally got 2 pieces sewn onto my foundation paper and then chickened out......

"What if I think I'm doing it right and sew all 4 blocks and then realise there is something wrong with what I have done?"

"What if I think I've constructed my 4 blocks correctly and then go ahead and cut out my other 18 fat 1/4's and spend all afternoon organising them into zip lock bags and think I'm really cool and well organised and then find out a week later I've stuffed it all up?"

"What if after stuffing up my cutting out and piecing I have to spend another $110 to replace all the lovely fabric?"

"What if I really, really don't understand what the heck I'm doing?"

So..........I've signed up for a class next weekend at the local P&Q shop just to make sure I am "A-OK", "on track", "not a nutter" and "doing just fine".  Phew, feel so much better now AND an added bonus to all this hand wringing....I get to buy myself a lovely sewing machine tote on wheels that is big enough to fit the Juki or the Horizon so I can transport either one of my machines in style and safety.  :) Ooooo it was fun picking it out....just have to wait for it to come down from NSW :'(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:45:56 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
FPP.......You're mad, old pal.....thassorl  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
Top Tip for any big project ...

Don't cut out all your fabrics in one go ...
After hours of measuring, marking and cutting, you will then look at the mountain of fabric pieces and feel overwhelmed!!

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 01:39:57 AM »
Oh my goodness, I'm off to my first ever class tomorrow. I've packed and then re-packed the Juki and all my bits and pieces about a million times this morning and can't wait.......but what if when I get there I've forgotten something, what if the instructor is disapproving of me...of my stuff..... or of my whatevers, what if I can't get my trolley bag in through their door without looking like a goose.......what if everyone else is doing really cool stuff and I am the only numpty....what if........what if......hmmmm, it's only 10.30am......too early for a little drinkie to calm the nerves??? -<

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:11:21 AM »
Relax Rubes!  and enjoy!

If you've forgotten anything .. someones probably got it and will give you a lend ...

Oh! and I've just heard on the Beebly news channel .. at this ungodly hour in DDD .... that P.Fart is saying that he's unlikely to be impeached because he has done such a great job!!!

Think of that, have a laugh, relax and go off to your class safe in the knowledge that you are miles better at what you do than the 'leader' of the largest country in the world .... sorry if I have upset anyone with that lil nugget ... but seriously???

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
With my pedant's hat on @Iminei ... not the largest country, just the daftest  :devil:
You'll be fine @rubywishes  I see you have a new Prime Minister, think how he'll be feeling  ;) Enjoy your class and show 'em how great you are  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
  I see you have a new Prime Minister,

Lord, it's like a revolving door over here!!

So I did my class this morning and was relieved to find that I have been doing everything right afterall so I can now sail on with great gusto. It was a very relaxed atmosphere with people at different stages of competence and experience and a very attentive instructor. I was nervous as all getout and the one time I forgot to close my rotary cutter after using it was the time that the instructor walked past.  :'( Felt a proper dill when she reminded me about safety, which of course she was right to do but oh dear.... :'( don't think I can front up to another class.....feel too self conscious now.

BUT, I am loving this FPP caper (and my batiks)...dare I hazard to say I can't see myself doing any other sort of patchworking from now on!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:02:39 AM by rubywishes »