The Sewing Place

Royal blue ponte dress V9202

Silver Rose

Royal blue ponte dress V9202
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:29:26 AM »
I cut the dress out yesterday, it took ages but I did keep stopping every time my back complained. I compared the bodice pattern pieces with Simplicity 2247 and they are the same size, I have cut a B cup this time as the C cup I chose for S2247 3 years ago is now a bit big on me and using ponte this time will I hope give a bit of stretch.
Still learning

Gernella

Re: Royal blue ponte dress V9202
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
That is a lovely dress.  Unfortunately my last outing with ponte for a dress did not end well.  I finished up having to take in huge amounts on the side but I was stuffed with the bit up to the sleeve without taking the whole lot apart. It is wearable but I know where it is not right.  It is lovely fabric to work with though.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »
I was nervous about sewing with ponte and stretch fabrics @Gernella but once I took the plunge I was pleased with the results. Yesterday I tacked the bodice together and tried it on - it fits perfectly over rhe shoulders and bust, there is a bit too much room across the back but not too difficult to adjust. Off out for the day on a coach trip today so probably do a bit more tomorrow.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
Sewed the bodice together yesterday and it fits well, the pattern instructions say to sew the side seams on both the bodice and the skirt first and then join top and bottom up but I prefer to leave the side seams and sew them in one after I've made sure to match the princess seams when sewing the top to the skirt. I am not lining the dress so I'll just do as neat a job as i can on the neck opening by turning it in and hemming it.
Still learning

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »
At least @Silver Rose, ponte along with other stretch fabrics is very forgiving when there is seam matching.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
Making slow progress, sleeves are sewn and the skirt back which is tacked to the bodice back and seams aligned 0_0, if I get a chance today I'll sew the front skirt pieces together and tack to the bodice front and get it all sewn up. The moment of truth will come I tack the front of the dress to the back and adjust the fit.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:32:49 AM »
It is all done except for sewing the sleeves in and finish the hems. I had to take a good inch off the side seams and adjust the sleeve armhole so next time I make this in ponte or similar I will cut a 14 not a 16. I like the look and fit of it but my aligning of the seams on the bodice and skirt went a bit awry  :| but who is going to look that closely at my midriff area ;). I bought some narrow black trim with a small silver chain to finish off the neckline but I don't think there is enough to do the sleeve cuffs. Trim is similar to this.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  . More pics to follow.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
This is the trim, it is a bit different from the pic I showed earlier.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Still learning

jen

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 15:27:33 PM »
Smashing trim!

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
Still slow progress but the sleeves are in and the trim is on round the neckline, I did that by hand, the sleeves are a bit too long the way I have pinned them so an adjustment needed there and then the dress hem needs sewing by hand so nearly done. I managed to do a bit yesterday after a long sitting down session of invigilating yesterday morning. The fact that it was still pouring with rain :\ when I came out of work at lunchtime made me decide to go straight home and get dried off and have a bit of lunch then do the sewing.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
I like the trim, @Silver Rose .  Is it heavy?  At the moment I can't imagine wearing a chain around my neck in any shape or form but then I have my own special form of internal combustion :(   

The dress sounds as though it's going to be lovely. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 13:36:16 PM »
No it is fairly light @Nevis5 the ponte is a good weight and the trim sits very well but I am not so in love with the end result now. It is wearable for a first go with this pattern. I know where the errors are. I'm getting fussy.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:53 AM »
I'm on the home straight now, the length of the sleeves is altered and pinned ready to to finished and I pinned up the dress hem this morning, I'll hand sew them both so I have to be in the right mood 'cos my hand sewing is awful :|. The trim is only 1/2" wide and quite delicate @Nevis5 . I won't wear the dress until autumn really arrives. What to make next? As a bit of light relief I'll make some pyjama bottoms out of a remnant of checked cotton.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 16:18:40 PM »
It is finished, just needs a good press now.
Pics to follow.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Wore the dress yesterday, forgot to hold tummy in for the photo. It is still a bit big but very comfortable to wear.
 I'm not sure if the photo has been attached correctly.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It should be full length photo, not a good start to the day.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:34:14 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning