The Sewing Place

The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge

Iminei

The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
Well I promised you all, well all 10 of my loyal Darksiders, a new challenge and here it is ....

The Sewing Places Midsummer Applique Challenge!

We are now mid August and I suggest this runs to the end of September ...

I am challenging you all to make an applique piece;

not in the weeny size my masochistic self has been indulging in recently, but A4 or larger using a mix of media if you wish ... but in honour of The Eve Appeals Go Red in September, please include an aspect of RED in your design.

What you do with your applique after the challenge remains up to you; cushion cover, wall hanging, centre panel for a quilt, table runner  ..... the list could be endless !

Rules:

Size:-

A4 or Larger

Media:
-
Whatever you wish, but 50% or more of the piece should be textile based.

Colours:-
Your choice but please include an aspect of RED in your materials or design.

Process:-
Please post a pic of your inspiration whether it be a card, photo or sketch from your imagination at the start of the challenge.
Feel free to post progress pics throughout the challenge but finished creations must be submitted by September 30th.

We will host a poll at the end of the challenge to show our appreciation for the no doubt amazing creations ...
The winner of which will receive The Sewing Places unique and priceless Prize Winners badge !

For ideas about where you might find your inspiration please click here....

For a short tut on applique from my T&C days click here
Its just a basic guide about how to break down a photograph into manageable pieces to put together an applique albeit on a much smaller scale than you will be working with.

As ever with all of my picasa albums click on the i icon to bring up details, descriptions and destructions!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:39:25 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

Re: The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm not sure this challenge is quite for me, but I look forward to seeing what other people create.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
I'm not an applique fan but will be interested in seeing what others create. Good luck peeps   :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 18:22:48 PM »
I'd quite like to take part but am not sure what's required, so I need to study the linkies first to see if it's something I could manage.  -< I've only done a tiny bit of applique before.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 18:45:28 PM »
I've not done anything quite like this before but I'm happy to have a go...( -< )
I think I understand how it's done.

I've been thinking of what I could do, and an image popped in my head, of my daughter in a black dress with red spots, and a red sash. It's a lovely photo of her.
I suspect I'm being over-ambitious on this one...but I might give it a try.

Other than this, I have a photo of a gorgeous Oriental Poppy in full bloom.

I'll have to see what fabrics I can find to make it work.

Sandra.
xxx

maliw

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 19:54:19 PM »
I don't think I will be able to do this as we are away for a lot of September  :(
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 20:08:25 PM »
I'd really like to do this but I'm away until the end on August and then back to work 3 days later. 

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
I'd really like to do this but I'm away until the end on August and then back to work 3 days later.

An absolutely ideal space of time to whip up a bit of applique!!!!  :devil:

I'd quite like to take part but am not sure what's required,

Have you ever been given a card, seen a picture in a magazine or on a billboard and think OOOh that is gorgeous or in my case, I could quilt that ???

Thats what you are looking for ....

(nips upstairs ...and boots up the kindle to take a pic...)

Your'e a very lucky girl, the upstairs is in just as bad a mess as the downstairs as Imself had to access the radiator under my big desk in my sewing/art/wardrobe/spare room so my stuff is everywhere ....

From top left ....Birthday card, Pic of Art on front of house in Austria, Pic from local paper, Christmas card, Birthday card, Christmas card, Christmas card, Christmas card, postcard

Advertising board from Greece

Retro tinplate advertising sign.

Now this lil lot are my future inspirations that I've collected from, well, The Greek advertising board for Perrier would have been in the 80's!!!!! when it came back from Zante as my hand luggage ... literally stood up by my knees the entire flight. It also had a big olive oil stain on it .. that has since dried out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:40:17 AM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »

An absolutely ideal space of time to whip up a bit of applique!!!!  :devil:

Come now, @Iminei , you know me better than that.

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
I was going to do a tea cosy for this, but not sure it would be big enough to meet the rules. I will think of something- maybe even a Christmas item!

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »
Tea cosy was my first thought too @Sheilago as I've done one before but it's too small. (Also I didn't realise that what I was doing was applique. I thought I was just cutting and sticking!).  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »
@Iminei  I love the cat on the stack of cushions.  0_0  That'd work really well.

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 14:19:24 PM »
So, this is the picture I love of my daughter.

I've been rummaging around looking for suitable fabrics. I've got some but have ordered some others for a bit of the background.
I've got a lovely piece of black fabric with red spots for the dress.  :)

I don't think I can leave this idea alone now. I'm going to have to go along with it until it's finished (or until I suffer an epic fail and I end up setting it alight to put it out of its misery. I'll make sure I put some pics up of the ashes.  :S)

I've just got back from town and I've had the photo enlarged up to A4 size at the photocopy shop. Now I'm back home, I've just run another black and white copy off the colour one.

I've never done anything like this before and I'm sure I've picked the worse subject matter...( 'A real human in a photograph!? Yeah. Right. Good luck with that'.) ...for a first-timer.

You live and learn.

Sandra.
xxx

WendyW

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 14:56:07 PM »
What is A4 size?  We don't use that designation in the US.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 15:04:49 PM »
A4 is a standard sheet of paper Wendy ....

Great pic .. try and'cartoonify' her and it will save you some grief ... she look very Betty Boop* to me, dont you think?

* This is meant as a compliment!!!