The Sewing Place

The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge

Sandra

Re: The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Yeah...I think  I understand. It's NOT going to fit together edge to edge like a jigsaw puzzle. I need a bit of overlapping.

Sandra.
xxx

sewmuchmore

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 18:30:40 PM »
oops I seem to have strayed into the Darkside and came upon this challenge. I must admit I do like a bit of applique and giving some serious thought as to what I could do.
Can I do something to wear? I am thinking of a waistcoat. And can it be any type of applique?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 21:40:05 PM »
I've never done any appliquing in my life but the postman brought some Heat'nBond today (ooh, I like that stuff) and I'm giving it a go.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
Yes you can applique a waistcoat if you wish ..... whatever you want.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 22:04:28 PM »
This is as far as I've been able to get.

I've outlined the areas I hope to create of the background, and have drawn all over Gertie to try to imagine the bits I'll need to create her. She raised an eyebrow at me when I told her what I was planning to do.  ><
I've had a little more fabric arrive in the post...Not much, just a bit of greenery and some dark which might be suitable for the fencing.

I'm so busy at the moment, and am currently in bridesmaids' dress, (and general alterations) Hell, and have come to a standstill with this. But I'm keen to try my hand at this and hope I'll get back to it soon.

Sandra.
xxx

Kenora

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 23:51:03 PM »
Looks like you're doing great @Sandra , especially as you're so busy atm. You're doing better than me on this project - I haven't even picked a subject yet - keep changing my mind. I'm trying to finish other sewing tasks ready to start this one but I'm not getting on very well. Never mind, I'll keep at it.  -<
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
SAN-DRA! Make the girl some feet!!!!
I think it'll be great. She'll keep it forever...for one reason or another!  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
If I get that far...I plan to give her some feet.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
Righty-ho folks....I've made a start.

Can't say that I'm lovin' it  -< It looks a bit  :\ ...but I realise it's only the start. There's lots more to add to it yet, and I really haven't done much at all.
I've put the fence, lawn and some greenery.

I've deliberately NOT looked at online tutorials on -  How To Do This Properly, because then I'll realise I don't have - The Correct Equipment, and that I haven't a clue. I'd much rather bumble around and make it up as I go along.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »
The only incorrect method (for just about anything) is the one that doesn't give the intended result (or a better one).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 14:09:48 PM »
Oh - are we allowed to start yet?  I think I've got it all wrong again.  :S I was waiting until 1st Sept (Saturday) to start. Have I shot myself in the foot before I've even got going?  :angry: What do the rules say? Help!  -<
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 15:18:09 PM »
Start away ... we are verrrry relaxed in The Darkside ... Finishing times tho' are set in stone!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

mammafairy

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 19:02:41 PM »
ops- just as I thought I had a project in mind... no red on it.. back to the drawing board!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 19:26:26 PM »
Yes you can applique a waistcoat if you wish ..... whatever you want.

:o Eyes widen with a zillion ideas.....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sandra

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
Hmmmmmm?...... -<

I've planted the garden but still need a bit more doing around her feet....And YES...She will have feet.  :)

I can see that the background will benefit from a few stitches to blur the edges around the planting, and to add more to it so it's not so 'flat'.
Might add more detail to the fencing, for starters...and some sticky-out twiggy bits to the plant directly behind Gertie...We'll see.

Now I've got this far, I'm dreading creating the actual figure.  :S  This is going to be really tricky to NOT make her look deformed.
You might not hear from me again on this thread if it goes badly.  :\

Sandra.
xxx