Kenora

Re: The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2018, 20:13:30 PM »
It looks great.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 14:56:35 PM »
I have lots of tartan scraps and bits of tweed! So inspired by a hare design cushion by Carola Van Dyke and a print by Neil Stevens I saw online , I’m going to try to come up with a cushion. I have a simple tartan patchwork cushion that I made last year ( you can just see in photo background), so this new one should hopefully fit on in my sofa.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 15:00:23 PM by Sheilago »

Iminei

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
Loving that idea and those pics! Gorgeous!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 16:27:59 PM »
Started it last night. My background tweed is a bit darker than the picture so not such a contrast, but so far, so good.

Sheilago

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2018, 21:37:18 PM »
Mmmm, when to stop?  I always find it difficult to know when to stop adding things.  l think the grain heads might need more, but don’t want to completely obscure the tartan. Think the bottom of the hare needs a few more leaves maybe.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:00:34 AM by Iminei »

Sheilago

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2018, 21:45:44 PM »
P.s. quite like the back ! :D  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:02:28 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2018, 21:50:01 PM »
I really love that.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sandra

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 22:23:22 PM »
You've been busy! Beautiful work...it's lovely.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:52 AM »
Beautiful Sheilago, just beautiful!

Kenora

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 18:21:55 PM »
I know it doesn't look very exciting, but this is my inspiration ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

His name is Barry and he used to live in a Cornish garden centre - he might still do, but the photo was taken years ago. I'm aware that he's grey but he's going to get a makeover into a red and blue maccaw - hope he likes it.  :)

I've only just made a start today as I had to finish sewing an urgent job for my charity work. I hadn't realised how much mess is made with applique - I've had paper and fabric all over the kitchen, with pens and scissors and goodness knows what flung everywhere ... but it was great fun. I'll try to take photos the next time I work on it.

Iminei

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »
Excellent!

Kenora

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 18:00:13 PM »
Well, I'm getting on really slowly but I've purloined some parrots from t'internet, and inserted them into my own background. Not sure which one is Barry.  -<

Then I made a start on tracing the pieces, which I've numbered and put into a tupperware container. (Thank you @Iminei for that tip - it's saved me losing tiny little claws and beaks - I'd have been struggling otherwise :( )

I suspect I've bitten off more than I can chew but I'll carry on anyway. It's going to look a bit of a mess because I don't have enough variety in my stash, and I'm not buying any more fabric. :devil:  Hopefully it will at least resemble a parrot when I've finished, but we shall see -<

Sheilago

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 19:53:15 PM »
Parrots look like they’re going to be wonderful.

I’ve added a red and green tartan back and finished my hare in Autumn cushion: it’s now in use. I’m off  to make my donation to the  charity.

Iminei

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
That is superb Sheilago ... very on trend as well.

Kenora, I think Barry is the one on the right (as you look at em) He looks a lil bit ashamed yet pleased with himself at the same time for escaping the garden centre and finding himself a mate!

and btw I dont think you've bitten off more than you can chew at all. I think your'e doing things exactly as they should be done ... What colourway of scraps are you short of?

Kenora

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 14:16:29 PM »
@Iminei - I'm trying to create a jungle round Barry (not sure if that's his natural habitat or not) so that he and his mate will feel at home. My idea was to put dark green leaves or creepers over the foreground but not sure if it would've worked. :S I have enough red and yellow for Barry and ? so will try that this afternoon.

It's feeling very thick, and I've only fused cotton on top of cotton so far. I'm worried that my s/m won't go through the layers if I put wadding and backing on, so I might leave the wadding out. It's only going to be a wall hanging. Any advice?