The Sewing Place

The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge

Kenora

Re: The Darksides Next Challenge ... Midsummer Applique Challenge
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2018, 19:10:56 PM »
It's looking great Sandra. I love how you've caught the tilt of your DD's head - gives it real character. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2018, 21:07:09 PM »
I've just spent an enjoyable evening 'planting the garden' around her. The garden's starting to look much better, but it's making Gertie look ...flat....amongst it. Need to try to bring her more to life if I can.  -<  The garden has background and foreground and some perspective. The figure is lacking that.

I'm done for today on it. I'll leave it hanging up above my sewing machine so I can stare at it over the next few days and plan what to do next.
Feeling cheerful today.  :)
Haven't done a stitch of work-sewing....just me-sewing.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »
Thread painting or Inktense pencils will be your friend there .....

Little noticed amongst The Village were the Heron (I know it looks like a vulture) and the sun lounger ... Both of which I cut from the ads in a gardening magazine, fused on and then sewed intensely over 

and the abandoned house's broken window was a judicious dash of black inktense pencil ...

you can get great 'depth' by a bit of simple shading, little by little!

Linky

Please be gentle with the criticism of the pics ... remember that the houses are only 5" from roof apex to threshold!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:34:36 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Sandra, can you replicate the folds in the skirt that give it depth in the photograph - perhaps some semi transparent fabric (organza?)  Or, recut the skirt from sections of the spotted fabric so that it doesn't look flat.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:48:29 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 07:49:04 AM »
Good Idea Ploshy!

Sandra

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2018, 07:54:19 AM »
That's an idea! Thank you Ploshkin.

I can see where I've lost the shading on the side of the dress where the sun's hitting her....and that's why she's looking flat.
I'll have to see what I can find and experiment.

Sandra.
xxx

Kenora

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
I'm beginning to understand why TV took so long @Iminei  - and to appreciate the amount of work which went into it.  <3

Barry is now in a brand new jungle and, while it looks a bit "artificial" to me, I can't change it now. Every time I look at it I want to do something different but it's too late. I still want to add some hanging vines and creepers (and give Barry & friend their faces) but that's for this afternoon.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Then I'll have to start sewing - and there's where the problems begin. :S I rather think I've made a rod for my own back with so many "pointy bits" so looking closely at TV is very helpful. I'm going to have a practice later and see how I get on. I might be some time. :'(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:16:10 PM by Kenora »

Ploshkin

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »
I don't think the jungle looks artificial at all - there's a lot of depth to it with the mountains in the background.
Life's too short for ironing.

supergran

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2018, 13:30:35 PM »
It's looking fantastic Kenora.  <3

Iminei

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2018, 13:46:41 PM »
Kenora, please come over here!

(stern look over the glasses) Repeat after me ... My Jungle is  (insert your adjective here) brilliant!

Its bloody fantastic!!!

I love love love the stylised leaves  ... Inspired ... flipping fantastic ... this is going to be Blooming gorgeous!!!

Re Sewing ... Which fusi did you use?
Its raw edge applique remember and made up of a lot of batiks which minimise frayage ... and if there was minimal frayage it woluld just add to the texture to the foliage, feathers ... I just looove it!

Small stitch length and just inside the edge of the fabric, use the stitches to make veins if you wish ...
personally I wouldn't use a satin stitch or blanket stitch

Use stitches in a darker or lighter colour to contour the mountains ... Honestly K, its absolutely awesome!!!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 13:53:01 PM by Iminei »

Kenora

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2018, 14:12:02 PM »
Thank you ladies, and thank you also for your advice @Iminei - it feels a bit like painting with fabric, but you can't make corrections, however much you'd like to!  :S

Regarding the sewing - I was going to use a small blanket stitch for the larger pieces, and then just a straight stitch for the rest. It's going to take me a while because I'm unable to do FMQ which gives me a pain in the neck (literally  :angry:). When I've finished putting the vines in (hopefully this afternoon) I'm going to have a practice with some scraps. I used Heat'n'Bond so I'm going to make a small mock-up and see how I go.

Iminei

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2018, 14:15:45 PM »
I used Heat'n'Bond lite or ultra ???

If you used Ultra you dont really need to stitch but excellent idea to have a practice on a spare piece ... Have you wadding or interfacing under them?? You will at least need some medium interfacing

Sandra

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2018, 14:33:53 PM »
Oh, Kenora!  That's fabulous.  <3

Sandra.
xxx

Kenora

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2018, 17:26:15 PM »
Thanks @Sandra - you're very kind. I'm enjoying it as it's so like the painting I used to do, but I still think I might come unstuck when I start sewing. I spent all the afternoon "playing" with the vines at the top of the picture but I must start the sewing soon 'cos I think it's going to take forever. :)

@Iminei - sorry, I used H'n'B lite onto a piece of poly/cotton. I have a backing cut out but am still worried about the thickness of the whole thing. It feels really stiff so I think wadding will be too much, so maybe just a layer of interfacing. Will know more once I do my practice piece - am getting withdrawal symptoms from not sewing for so many days! :S

Sandra

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2018, 17:40:37 PM »
I've been planting the garden, and have pinned on a piece of tulle net over the side of the dress, to try to see if it will help give a bit of a light/shade effect on Gertie.
It helps. I think.

I still need to shade her arm, and I know I've got to do something with her hair  :o  it currently looks like a strange hat  0_0.
I'm hoping all the extra shading stuff will sort it all out.

I plan to make a frame (fabric) around it when I've finished.

Daughter doesn't like it and pulls a face every time she catches sight of it.

Sandra.
xxx