The Sewing Place

Kay Unger dress Vogue 1353

Fabric Lover

Kay Unger dress Vogue 1353
« on: August 15, 2018, 17:16:51 PM »
I made this dress Vogue 1353 a couple of years ago but it wasn’t a good fit, so this time I decided to make a toile, not something I do as a rule except on the odd occasion. The fabric is a very unusual woven type with a cotton feel to it, it has yellow and blue threads running through the weave. I loved it on sight. I didn’t have quite enough though for the length I wanted (below the knee) so decided to add a border hem with a touch of machine embroidery to tone with the main fabric.

This may be an option for my SWAKOP plan, still being formulated.

[Tweaked the link to make it work.]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 17:20:06 PM by Acorn »
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fabric Lover

Re: Kay Unger dress Vogue 1353
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 17:24:07 PM »
I am just about to finish off the border hem - it’s just pinned here. I’ll put up a proper photo when it’s done.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 17:37:26 PM »
lovely, the border works so well. Were did the main fabric come from it'd really nice.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 19:08:18 PM »
Thanks SMM. I went to a one off fabric sale with Lachica about 3 months ago at a place called Threadsters near Andover one Sunday morning. It is a retail clothes manufacturer who was selling off ends of rolls, and the sale was in their warehouse. Great sale and I hope they do another one!

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 21:33:36 PM »
That looks great and shows you have a great flair for putting stuff together

Fabric Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
That’s so nice of you Surestitch, thank you!

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
My sister made this dress a few years ago when she was just starting out, as it was marked as 'Easy' - certainly wasn't!

Looking forward to seeing your final finished dress.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Ooh,I like that pattern Fabric Lover, I suspect the pleats round the neckline might take time and patience, I like the border too.
Still learning

jen

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »
It looks lovely, really suits you.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 17:19:16 PM »
So glad to get this dress finished- I made it more difficult than it needed to be.
My sister made this dress a few years ago when she was just starting out, as it was marked as 'Easy' - certainly wasn't!
You’re right Samantha it wasn’t an easy pattern. Also I moved the zip from centre back to the side which meant other adjustments. Then putting the border on the hem meant a lot of fiddling about with it to make sure it was straight.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fabric Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 17:22:00 PM »
It was useful to get the hem tidy on the inside to.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 17:39:42 PM »
Thanks SMM. I went to a one off fabric sale with Lachica about 3 months ago at a place called Threadsters near Andover one Sunday morning. It is a retail clothes manufacturer who was selling off ends of rolls, and the sale was in their warehouse. Great sale and I hope they do another one!

I will be coming to Hampshire in November and have emailed the company to see if they are doing a sale whilst I am down there.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet