The Sewing Place

Tip for pretreating linen

Fabric Lover

Tip for pretreating linen
« on: August 15, 2018, 19:49:14 PM »
We all know how much linen creases - so much so I’ve avoided buying any for a while! Might reconsider though after reading this blog post from Sandra Betzina - sounds hopeful! Avoiding linen wrinkles
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 19:54:39 PM by Francesca »
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fabric Lover

Re: Tip for pretreating linen
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 20:09:04 PM »
Not for me I’m afraid. I don’t like to arrive somewhere looking like I’ve slept in whatever I’m wearing!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 20:14:21 PM »
My MIL wore pure linen to our wedding.
That's all I'm saying.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 20:18:17 PM »
I hope it was Irish linen. ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 20:19:45 PM »
Some people look good in creased linen.  Other people look like bag ladies.  Sadly I'm the latter.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 20:20:50 PM »
I prefer the heavy linen that doesn't crease much.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 20:21:27 PM »
Probably!  0_0 It wouldn't have looked out of place full of potatoes!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 21:09:52 PM »
I’m a bag lady look a like too when I wear it...not for me either.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 22:01:18 PM »
I look like a bag lady whatever I wear!
But I love linen and linen blends and will happily wear it despite the creases.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 22:14:23 PM »
We all know how much linen creases - so much so I’ve avoided buying any for a while! Might reconsider though after reading this blog post from Sandra Betzina - sounds hopeful! Avoiding linen wrinkles

It does work well, along with the basic washing and drying 3 times, hot water and dryer before sewing.  You want all the shrink out of the way at the beginning. You end up with the ever so slightly rumpled just back from safari look. I like it and not at all a street person.

Another secret is to ALWAYS use a press cloth with linen. Otherwise it takes a shine like nobody's business. Think of all those banquet tablecloths all starched and shiny. Not a good look for clothing.

My press cloth is silk organza and works well with linen.

I'm actually wearing real Irish linen pants I made and treated this way. Wash in warm, tumble dry warm until not quite dry then hand smooth quickly and I'm done. So comfy.

You might also like to try Brussels Washer linen, usually a 60% linen/ 40% rayon blend or the linen-cotton, bamboo or silk blends. I use the Brussels Washer a lot. It's a nice mid weight that's good for pants when it's warm or tops/shirts.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Missie

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 13:10:38 PM »
Personally I think it's part of the charm. Linen wrinkles, that's how you know people are wearing real linen not just something that looks like it.

I totally agree with you Fran!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 18:09:33 PM »
I look like a bag lady whatever I wear!

Me too, it can be the most expensive or cheapest fabric. I have a friend who can spend next to nothing on a Primark top and she looks like it cost her mega bucks, how can that be?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 18:27:43 PM »
I had a work colleague who has two sons often taken for twins. One a scruffy Herbert, the other pins on paper even when dressed the same.
Who knows...?