The Sewing Place

Hello!

doesntworkonwood

Hello!
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
Hello!

As you can see, I just joined so I thought I would introduce myself.

Not only am I new to this forum, but I'm also quite new to 'proper' sewing, having only been actually sewing for about 6 months. I've made 6 garments in that time, 4 of which are wearable (if not 100% perfect). The first dress I made was a shift dress made of plaid fabric, which I'm super proud of because I spent a lot of time pattern matching and I learnt how to put in an invisible zip. Unfortunately, I put the sleeves in backwards and made it a bit too short so I can't really wear it out of the house.

I haven't bought any clothes in the past year or so, I like to keep my wardrobe small (and I don't have room), and I've been trying to find a way to sew without adding more clothes that I might not wear into my wardrobe. The solution to that seems to be quilting. I was at FOQ the other day and I bought myself some EPP supplies that will mean that I can hopefully get started on a quilt made with my scraps and the assortment of fat quarters I bought when I first started sewing 6 months ago.

I'm glad to join this forum because it's mainly UK based. After lurking for a bit, I found that the information is a bit more relevant to me. It's also a smaller and 'cosier' community which I like. Hopefully I can contribute despite my relatively new sewing status!

Iminei

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
Welcome and how did you find FOQ???

Overwhelming is my guess ... Ive been for the lat 4 years, helping in the last 2 and still find it a bit much!

The Darkside is waiting for you to tiptoe in; but beware its a bit like the Horel California....
you can (try and) check out but you can never leave!!! Mwahaha  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »
Hello, and welcome!!  If you've only been dressmaking for 6 months, it sounds as though you're doing brilliantly!  Matching plaids and using invisible zips are things that often more experienced dressmakers shy away from.    Can you wear your dress as a tunic?

Can't help you on the quilting as I've yet to be enticed to the Dark Side, but there are many, many people here to tempt you along that route.

Happy sewing! x

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
Welcome.
Only sewing for 6 months and 4 wearable garments plus pattern matching plaid?

WOW!!
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 13:07:50 PM »
Greetings!  Sounds like you're doing well with this sewing lark.  I've been sewing (on and off) all my life and I still don't know what an invisible zip is.  Mind you, having a loose fit body, I make loose fit clothes, so no zips required  0_0

maliw

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 17:18:39 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, you are doing really well with the sewing. Just ask if you need any help - we don't bite.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 17:50:41 PM »

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 17:55:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum, shall we call you Doesn't for short?  Mistakes are how we get better. Most of us have loads to learn so I know who to come to for my invisible zip lesson if I ever need one  ;). Good luck with your first quilt - I mostly sew garments and bags but recently made a cot quilt of sorts and it was hugely satisfying.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 18:04:02 PM »
Welcome from me too. You sound as though you're doing really well with your dressmaking. I've been sewing a very long time but I'm not sure I'd ever classify it as "proper" sewing. I just enjoy what I do. And I'm sure you'll enjoy quilting as well - pop on over to The Dark Side to see what's on offer there.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 19:36:45 PM »
Welcome from me too. You're doing brilliantly for only 6 months at it, the more you make the better you'll get and the more you ask the more you'll learn

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 23:23:10 PM »
Welcome to TSP  :fabric:  :snip: :pin: :sew: :frock:

I like to keep my wardrobe small (and I don't have room), and I've been trying to find a way to sew without adding more clothes that I might not wear into my wardrobe. The solution to that seems to be quilting.

I hope you've got room for quilt storage.  They multiply  :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:26 AM »
Welcome from a decidedly non UK member! It is wonderfully cozy here and ever so friendly. Despite having an English Grandmother and in childhood learning about a proper Earl Grey with milk and knowing what treacle and sultanas are I've learnt I barely know the English language after coming here. Everyday I learn something new....like Welsh Cakes are really cake at all.  ><  :cake:

Plaid matching? Invisible zips? And now EPP? You are an adventurous one!

Four out of 6 wearable garments in only 6 months is quite the accomplishment. Let me assure you that everyone has put a sleeve in backwards at some point. Have fun!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 06:37:46 AM »
Welcome, @doesntworkonwood .   :drink: :cake:

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »
Earl Grey with milk!!!???!!! Noooooo   :S @Renegade Sewist  actually, I can't bear the stuff...milky, lemony or limey  ;)
Welcome DWOW and get over to The Darkside pronto, please. I only do p&q not being clever enough to face....patterns, interfacings ( whatever that it ) fabric grains  -< ( I know you should bother with it in p&q but I don't  :| ) and just looking at a zip gives me the heebie jeebies  :o
We always need new blood on TDS  :devil: to share fresh ideas and you'll be very welcome  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
Hello and welcome!