The Sewing Place

Hello!

doesntworkonwood

Re: Hello!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Wow! Lots of replies, you guys are a friendly bunch!

@Iminei It was very overwhelming. I'd been to the creative crafts show a month or so before and that was tiny in comparison. All of the quilts where so cool though, there's so much planning that goes into them to get all of the right fabrics in the right shades. I don't know how people have the mental capacity for it.

@Nevis5 I might have a look into that actually. I'll have to take off the sleeves and redo them first though!

@Sewingsue Thanks! Two of the wearable garments are pyjamas admittedly.

@Bodgeitandscarper Haha. No twisting around trying to pull them up either!

@maliw I definitely will! I always want my sewing to get better and better, and that can't be done without help.

@Fajita Nice to meet you Fajita   0_0

@Vezelay If you ever do decide to put in an invisible zip, I recommend the video on the MadeToSew youtube channel. She makes it seem super easy.

@Kenora I think everything counts proper sewing, whether you're doing it by hand or on a machine, and whether you're making garments or bags or quilts. I hope I'll love working on my quilt!

@Surest1tch Can't agree with you more.  :D

@BrendaP Ermm... Maybe not haha. We'll see where I go from here.

@Renegade Sewist I hope I will do. I used to work in a coffee shop and the discussions (or should I say arguments) about whether you should put milk with Earl Grey were constant. I'll stick to my English Breakfast.

@Pearl Hello!

@Lowena Hello! What does p&q mean if you don't mind me asking?

@Greybird Hiya Greybird.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi @doesntworkonwood  P and Q stands for Patchwork and Quilting  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Nevis5

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »

[/quote]
Earl Grey with milk!!!???!!! Noooooo   :S @Renegade Sewist  actually, I can't bear the stuff...milky, lemony or limey  ;

Shudder.  I can Just About stomach it with lemon but never milk!  My mum used to serve it with milk, yukkkk.  But I likes my builder's tea with just a dash  :drink:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 17:33:09 PM »
 :drink: Hmmm. Most of the American tea companies tell us that almost everyone in England and Ireland drink their tea with milk.. I just know that Grandmother didn't want the tea to "stunt your growth" so put it with milk. Her girls were 5' 10" and 5' 11", the boys were 6' 3" and 6' 4". Of the grands I'm the shorty at 5' 8 3/4". All the boys are 6' 3" or taller.

I suppose I shan't ask about how you all like your toast. Please don't butter mine until it's cooled off, so the butter stays on the top and keeps the jam from soaking in. Soft boiled egg and cooked tomato slices to go with that anyone?

I hope you get on well with the EPP. All paper piecing seems daunting to me!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewcycle

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 18:31:24 PM »
Hello Doesn't.... Sounds like you're going on brilliantly. It's addictive, as is patchwork! I'm sure you'll find lots more to do, just as a result of belonging the Sewing place and perhaps to some online sewing groups. I like Instagram as well as the response is very immediate. Lots of lovely sewists out there always ready to offer friendly advice.
 :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:   :vintage: :flower: :flower: :flower: :toast:
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Sandra

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 18:46:29 PM »
Welcome to the Sewing Place.  :)

Lots of lovely, friendly and helpful people on here. Hope you quickly feel at home with us.

Sandra.
xxx

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
@Lowena Thanks :D

@Sewcycle There's so much you can learn just by osmosis I think. I don't have an instagram because I was procrastinating with it too much haha.

@Sandra Hey Sandra :)

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 23:16:23 PM »
I'm a bit late to the tea party @doesntworkonwood , apologies but great to hear of your adventurous sewing habits! It can be a huge advantage for newbies to simply be unaware of what's supposed to be the difficult stuff and just give it a go regardless. We all have our own sewing nemesis and many will share them with others but they're rarely exactly the same combination. I love sewing with lycra and unpicking overlocking (bit embarrassing that last one) but plenty of people hate both with a passion.

@Francesca I'm definitely a black Earl Grey fan although having discovered M&S Empress Tea, that's my staple these days - also without milk. I think the superiority claim is on dodgy ground though - many fast food places & Ikea offer Earl Grey these days.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

SunnySkies

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 01:00:56 AM »
Welcome aboard Doesn't! And here I thought the Tea Party was some kind of political group. I like this group's idea of a tea party much better.  :drink:

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
A big welcome from me too! 

Not a great tea drinker myself, but love buttered toast straight from the toaster - has to be Best Butter though, not any of these new fangled 'spreads'.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
@Marniesews Thanks for the welcome! I am having fun hanging around here.

@SunnySkies There's always time for a tea party in my opinion  :drink: :drink:

@b15erk I agree with you, I like my toast to be toasted and I like my butter to be melty.