The Sewing Place

Am I the only one with eyes bigger than my belly

Gernella

Am I the only one with eyes bigger than my belly
« on: August 18, 2018, 15:23:57 PM »
I've been buying remnants over the summer, gorgeous stuff for winter projects.  I've just started one that is going to take a bit of time, so why, do I see a pattern I really fancy, bookmark it in 'sewing research', and then proceed to bookmark various fabrics to make it with the intention of buying when I've decided which (and pay day has arrived).  I have absolutely no time to make  based on present rate of progress.  Is this what they call an addiction or just judicious buying?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tamnymore

Re: Am I the only one with eyes bigger than my belly
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 16:32:15 PM »
Oh yes. This sounds very familiar @Gernella  ;) .
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

jen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 16:45:06 PM »
Sounds familiar. I’m on a fabric fast, since actually measuring the stash and finding there’s 300 yards there. Some of the pieces date back at least a decade. I sew reasonably fast, not factory fast, but I crack on. Despite this, a back of the envelope calculation based on likely projects x average time per project told me it could take 1,000 hours to get to empty cupboards. I need someone to cast a spell over fabric I buy ‘If not sewn in 24 months VANISH!’

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 17:11:45 PM »
Sounds like you need New Rules @Gernella  :)

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 18:37:24 PM »
Ha ha, @Vezelay  I hadn't seen that.  Very apt and although the pattern situation is bad, it is satisfying to read on a blog that someone is making something from a pattern purchased donkeys years ago.  They are an investment!

Fabric has not hit 25 meters (I think) so I have room to catch up with others.  I do wear everything I make although some has hung around because the occasion has not arisen, but I am ready when it does.

In my defence, I have spreadsheet (for everything) so under my new regime nothing gets missed.

The only thing that causes the bottleneck, time.  I just need the man to get another hobby and then I might get a whole day to sew instead of a maximum of 4 hours a week if I am lucky. 
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 20:32:13 PM »
It's a sickness @Gernella.  Seek a cure immediately. ;)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 21:01:05 PM »
Sounds familiar. I’m on a fabric fast, since actually measuring the stash and finding there’s 300 yards there. Some of the pieces date back at least a decade. I sew reasonably fast, not factory fast, but I crack on. Despite this, a back of the envelope calculation based on likely projects x average time per project told me it could take 1,000 hours to get to empty cupboards. I need someone to cast a spell over fabric I buy ‘If not sewn in 24 months VANISH!’

Only a decade? I have fabric older than @Francesca .

I've decided that fabric gives off pheromones that attract all Sewists and would be Sewists. There is no other logical answer. The type of sewing we do is our response to certain fabrics pheromone. (work with me here.)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Only a decade? I have fabric older than @Francesca .

Now @Renegade Sewist  that is something that I would dare bet cannot be beaten by any member.  Maximum for me, I would hazard a guess, is around six years tops.

:fabric:

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
I have a few pieces of fabric that have bern with me for 25-30 years.  :S

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
I still have a few leftover hexagons for the quilt I finished earlier this year that I started in 1985 - and they're from the original lot, not the ones that got added over the years.

I also have a piece of fabric that was my mother-in-law's that must have come from the 1950s.  I have no idea what to do with it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
I don't think I have anything that old, but I do have a couple of pieces of silk which came from David Evans in Crayford.  They closed in 2001.  In fact I used a few of those scraps in the last few days, in the wearable quilt /poncho.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »
I have a skirt length given to me by my mother in 1979. One day I will use it.

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
I have a full circle, Indian print skirt from around 1979. The waist is now has been for decades too tight, and every so often I find it in my stash & remember that all I need to do is remove the zip & move it down a bit, remake the waist so I can wear it. I love the fabric & print.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:45 PM »
Oops. I've just remembered some patchwork I started in 1975 which I think is stored under the eaves somewhere. If I can find it it will be full of vintage Laura Ashley prints.

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »
I’ve a piece of Linton Tweed which is 30+ years old..it’s still beautiful.