The Sewing Place

Am I the only one with eyes bigger than my belly

BrendaP

Re: Am I the only one with eyes bigger than my belly
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 00:00:58 AM »
If you are a creative person you need to have the means of being creative.  If your creations are textile based you need those textiles :fabric: :fabric: :fabric:

I've got maybe a dozen lengths of fabric big enough to make a whole garment from - and the reason I've got so many is the pot-luck nature of internet shopping, in the days of proper bricks and mortar fabric shops I never had that much.  But I also have lots of smaller pieces, both FQ and smaller for patchwork and left over bits from garments - and some of that is internet shopping related because so often you have to buy by the full metre.  Those bits might sit in the cupboard for years before they get used.

Over on the Mate your Orphans thread I've been winging about the difficulty of finding an exact match colourwise in a fabric to go with a pink and blue jacket.  I did eventally find some rather expensive silk and bought just 70cm of it, just enough to make a sleeveless top, but guess what I found in my bits box!  Two small pieces of pink satin lining fabric, in exactly the same colour as the silk, just big enough to cut the facings from.   0_0  If I hadn't kept it....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 16:18:49 PM »
I've been buying remnants over the summer, gorgeous stuff for winter projects.  I've just started one that is going to take a bit of time, so why, do I see a pattern I really fancy, bookmark it in 'sewing research', and then proceed to bookmark various fabrics to make it with the intention of buying when I've decided which (and pay day has arrived).  I have absolutely no time to make  based on present rate of progress.  Is this what they call an addiction or just judicious buying?

You can include me in this addiction, too - and I am not even sewing - I just "have plans". In addition, redently I seem to wan t to buyall the older machines I can find but I have only bought one - a lovely Bernina 830 Record. It runs SO well.

elisep

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
I've spent a lot of time beating myself up over buying too much fabric but I've let up on myself lately! Sewing makes me happy so why not let myself spend money on what makes me happy! Of course sometimes I should be watching my budget a little more carefully.....!  ;)
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Boppingbeth

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:51 AM »
Last year, everything got out of hand at my house so we instituted a rule: you can buy what you want but you have to use it within a month of buying it.That rule really cut down how much buying I was doing, and increased how much crafting I was doing as well.  It isn't a perfect solution: I have way more stash than most people.  But I don't feel guilty purchasing things and I am creating.